flyrfrk33

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone

Have 2 general questions....

1. Is it ok if I put 2 clowns into my 12 gallon nano with a perculean damsel in there? The damsel has been in there about 3 months. I am worried about the damsel being too dominate and also want to make sure there is enough space for all 3. Or maybe only get 1 clown, but I know they like to be kept in pairs.

2. I have 4 nice looking frags that my stinking emerald crab keeps knocking off the rocks. Is this crab causing more harm then good in my tank? What are the downsides of taking the crab out? He really pisses me off when I come home from work and my frags are upside and not open and flourishing, any ideas....

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Removing the crab would be up to you. He will scavenge and help clean the tank but I think there are better/other options. I don't think they are worth the risk associated with a crab because in my opinion they are ugly lol..

If you like it than try it out and keep him well fed. Just know that they, like any crab can cause other problems like the possibility of eating, and knocking over corals or eating other smaller inverts and "sometimes" fish

As for the corals falling, that's an issue with all tanks unless you glue them. If your like me and like moving stuff your going to have to deal with it until you choose a designated permanent spot for your corals and glue them. You can also try wedging them.

They will grow out so don't hesitate to put them a little away from the spot you truly want them at if it will help secure them.

As for the fish. Keep the bioload low until the tank is well established and see how it does. You can always add more in the future. Take your time it can get really boring if you don't lol

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
The damsel is boss by default. Chances are he will not tolerate any other fish. I would get rid of the damsel and go with some gobies (clown, firefish etc) which are small and/or cardinals which don't need a lot of room to swim around.
I never trust crabs. They cause more problems than they solve and that includes hermits.

Last edited:

flyrfrk33

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the help. Decisions been made.. Mr.Crab will meet the toilet tonight. That is kind of sad but not sure what else to do with him.

As for the fish, getting rid of the awesomely blue damsel is an option I have been weighing with. But even then I cant get two clowns, maybe one clown and a goby.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Killing an innocent life form because it keeps knocking your frags over is just plain irresponsible. Proper research before purchasing that crab would have told you that these things might happen. You will basically murder something because of your own lack of effort and research. If it bothers you so much then give it to another reefer. If you cannot do that GIVE it back to the closest local fish store. Don't flush it. That is the most moronic suggestion ever.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Yea offer the crab to someone.

If you get small clownfish and plan on upgrading in a year then clowns are ok. As long as the damsel is gone.
Fish options are few for a tank that size and most of the things you may want to put in there will probably get too big.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Killing an innocent life form because it keeps knocking your frags over is just plain irresponsible. Proper research before purchasing that crab would have told you that these things might happen. You will basically murder something because of your own lack of effort and research. If it bothers you so much then give it to another reefer. If you cannot do that GIVE it back to the closest local fish store. Don't flush it. That is the most moronic suggestion ever.

1+

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

reefgeek

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
one clown let alone a pr. is too much for a 12gal tank. unless of course ur willing to do water changes on it twice a week...think about the fish in such small quarters! theres plenty of more options for a 12gal that are more suitable for the tank. man up and get a bigger tank!! LOL

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I housed two small clownfish in my 12g for almost a year. They were well adjusted and showed no signs of stress. When I upgraded to a 75g they started laying eggs and still do to this day.

I was performing 2 gallon water changes weekly and not overfeeding them. They were the only fish in there though.

I say as long as they are small and you plan to upgrade then you are probably ok. I think the intimacy of a small tank kept them together and paired them better than the openness of an expansive tank.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: