editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Hello,
need opinions on the placement of the skimmer, skimmer pump, baffles etc in the sump. I am converting an old Amiricle Wet/Dry System to a sump for my tank, (still not running), see model SL250: http://www.futurepets.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=AMSL250B

Anyway, I have an Aqac C EV120 w/Mag 5, where is the best position for the Mag 5 and the return of the skimmer. Also do I need to add a couple of baffles and where? I have limited space and therefore would like to keep everything contained in the cabinet below the tank, (very restrictive area since the tank is a flat back hex).

My initial plan was to sit the skimmer in the compartment pictured w/out the bioballs w/the mag situated where the bioballs used to be. The tank 1" drainage would be connected to the elbow pictured. I then planned on placing an acrylic baffle in the same area, (where the picture shows the small piece of eggcrate and white filter pad). I then would run an elbow and pvc out of the skimmer gate valve to empty the skimmer out in front of the baffle, (where the white filter pad is pictured). Lastly I was planning on drilling the compartment w/out the bioballs for a bulkhead return to the external pump. Another option would be to locate the skimmer and mag 5 in the bioball compartment. Not sure if I would have a problem with the sloped bottom on the sump in that area.

Any comments/suggestions is welcomed.
Thanks,
Frank

Last edited:

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Fyi

Dimensions 24 x 12 x 16
Place the skimmer in the bioball compartment. You can place eggcrate under the skimmer. The sump is 16" tall and the skimmer can sit in up to 9" of water so you should raise it.

Temporarily you can utilize filter foam as a bubble trap or raise the baffle. That will take care of the microbubbles. Let us know of the progress.
HTH,
Herman

Last edited:

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I agree with herman and have played with thier illustration a little

S = skimmer
P = Pump for skimmer
R = return pump t otank
E = Exit for tubing from return pump

Note the increased size of the baffle

I would take off the square drip tray and attach a filter sock holder to the acrylic and let the drain go right into that - this way you have a little bit of mechanical filtration and reduction of micro bubbles.

House

Attachments

• amsl50b.jpg
    amsl50b.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 470

editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Thanks for the input. The model I have is actually only 14" high, but this was the closest pic I could find. I have an external pump for the return to the tank, (Panworld). I purchased a bulkhead and was planning on drilling the exit by letter "R", (in your diagram, COOL), to connect to the return pump. I did remove the drip tray and eggcrate. I did not plan on completely filling the sump, to allow for overflow in case the power dies, only planning on approximately 7 to 8 inches of water therefore I guess I wouldn't need to lift the skimmer. Right? Should I add multiple baffles in area "R"?
Frank

editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
position of skimmer etc

I'm a little lost here. Are you suggesting putting an elbow at the end of the bulkhead fitting, (on the inside of the sump), that connects the sump to the external return pump? If so, the bulkhead is pretty low therefore I can only place the elbow facing upward, ___l as such.

Last edited:

charile1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Do you have an update on this? I have similiar system. I would like to place the skimmer where the bio balls are now but than I can use the drain cover. What did you do?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: