joegoersch

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ! I've cycled, got zero ammonia and nitrites, nitrates 20, i've added an emerald crab and some astrea snails. Getting ready to add fist to a quarantine tank.

I have a question about where to purchase livestock. I want a couple of ocellarus clowns, a royal gamma and maybe a firefish.

From what I've seen in several LFSs, they aren't so gentle or careful. They open the new boxes of livestock and just plunk them into tanks with no acclimitization and all the stores have some dead fish in their tanks.

I'm wondering if buying fish at the chain stores is any different. Am I likely to do better buying the fish at a LFS vs a big nationwide chain ? I've been looking in both and I've seen healthy and sick fish in both.

Any thoughts ?

Bryceandmandy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
lfs's are great for more specialized knowledge, livestock, and drygoods. although chain stores arent bad to just pick through...sometimes they dont know what they have...but its usually sick. all of this is my own opinion..its not set in stone.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
What lfs do you go to that does that? I have never seen a lfs do that! I know pet co and all does do that, floats them and then throws them in, but most decent lfs will never do that. I always walk in to shops on new fish days and see them being dripped and handled properly. Go to manhattan aquariums since your in the city. You will never buy anything not taken care of...

Bryceandmandy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
What lfs do you go to that does that? I have never seen a lfs do that! I know pet co and all does do that, floats them and then throws them in, but most decent lfs will never do that. I always walk in to shops on new fish days and see them being dripped and handled properly. Go to manhattan aquariums since your in the city. You will never buy anything not taken care of...

i totally agree with ryan here...check out ocean gallery 2 in north plainfield as well

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Manhattan Aquariums = Quality? I see just as many sick fish in that shop as any chain store. It is a shame that Large Emperor angel is sick and even taken from the ocean to begin with. That is one of the large breeders that should have been left in the ocean. I know manhattan Aquariums did not go and catch the fish but they did buy it, and it is sick as can be. I will neer buy a fish from there because I see more sick fish in theirs tanks than in my LFS around me.

Bryceandmandy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
As far as corals go yes they are top quality as far as i am concerned. The fish though are tough. As hobbyists we must consider that the majority of the animals are wild caught and they are far from perfect. For every sick fish that i see there i find ten others tht are in great shape. Not only that but the people there dont talk to me like im some idiot so quality is definetly a term id use.

flyrfrk33

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manhattan Aquariums has an awesome selection of frags and corals. Like previously stated they have a great selection and a bunch for really good prices. Being in the city, everything is expensive. When I walked into MA was expecting frags to be around 25-30 or more like I saw in Philly before my move and was shocked and excited that they were so cheap and in great shape. Bought 2 great frags for $5 probably a month or so ago and they look awesome. Will probably go back in another month, happy i live on the other side of the city or id be there all the time.

not sure about fish there though, wasnt looking for fish last time i went. I am in the market for a clown as well as one my clowns was nipped by a damsel and didnt make it. I will be checking out New World Aquarium today to see there selection of clowns.. 37th between 2nd and 3rd

guarda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
nwa is actually on 38th. They're a few blocks from me. :)

Manhattan Aquariums has an awesome selection of frags and corals. Like previously stated they have a great selection and a bunch for really good prices. Being in the city, everything is expensive. When I walked into MA was expecting frags to be around 25-30 or more like I saw in Philly before my move and was shocked and excited that they were so cheap and in great shape. Bought 2 great frags for $5 probably a month or so ago and they look awesome. Will probably go back in another month, happy i live on the other side of the city or id be there all the time.

not sure about fish there though, wasnt looking for fish last time i went. I am in the market for a clown as well as one my clowns was nipped by a damsel and didnt make it. I will be checking out New World Aquarium today to see there selection of clowns.. 37th between 2nd and 3rd

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
For some reason certain reefers get very heated when talking about LFS. I am not a fan of chain stores selling saltwater at all.
I am also not a fan of poor quality conditions and exorbitant prices in LFS either.
There is a store rating section in here that has reviews. That is very helpful but there are people on here that have agendas when reviewing stores. So I find it best to visit LFS often, even when you don't plan a purchase, so you can see how consistent they are.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: