Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab vs Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab

Is one better than the other? I found the descriptions to be pretty identical, aside from one being red and the other being blue. Then why are the Scarlet Reef Hermits usually more expensive than the Dwarf Blue Leg? Is it becuase one is better or is it an availability issue?

I want to get some hermits and deciding which is better. Should I get a mix of each?

Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab
p_79960.jpg

Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab
p_80012.jpg

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
the Blue legged are EVIL
Just my opinion
froggiebunbun said:
Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab vs Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab

Is one better than the other? I found the descriptions to be pretty identical, aside from one being red and the other being blue. Then why are the Scarlet Reef Hermits usually more expensive than the Dwarf Blue Leg? Is it becuase one is better or is it an availability issue?

I want to get some hermits and deciding which is better. Should I get a mix of each?

Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab
p_79960.jpg

Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab
p_80012.jpg

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
WingoAgency said:
Can someone tell me a little bit more about the black legged ones too?

Both the blue and black legged ones seems to keep on turning small frags over in my tank. What are they doing? There seems to be a lot of food around.

Please provide pictures of the hermits in question, like this thread's original poster.

Hitsnorth

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Blue Legs Red Legs and Scarlets

I have over 100 blue legs in my tank and over 100 nassarius snails as well as a population of bumble bee snails(which I never put any in they just seemed to multiply). All my turbo snails, margarita snails were wiped out by the blue legs. The Nassarius are too small for them to deal with. Other then killing the snails for shells they are great. I have had red scarlets too but they seem to die off(or is the the evil blue legs who get them?)

I really like the blue legs they are busy and any food that drops to the bottom is quickly consumed by them :eat:

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
OK, seems like I'm going to get the Red Scarlet Hermit Crabs. Now...where to get them lol. I'll try Fishtown. THanks everyone for giving there 2 cents.

lazyreefer

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I personally saw a blue leg killings its own kind, ripped a smaller blue leg off its shell and then just left it to die. didn't take the shell afterwards. saw teh big one do this 2 time already... got myself a serial killer blue leg.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
lazyreefer said:
I personally saw a blue leg killings its own kind, ripped a smaller blue leg off its shell and then just left it to die. didn't take the shell afterwards. saw teh big one do this 2 time already... got myself a serial killer blue leg.

Sounds like the same crime scene of my hermit death. It was laying on the sand without a shell and died.

By the way, I found out my black legged ones are zerba left hand hermit. Thnks to Deanos again with the link.

Last edited:

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i have blue legs in my tank and haven't really seen much in the way of snail killing- they do not seem to eat algae though, but are great at cleaning detrius from the bottom and the rocks- my substrate is still pretty white after 8 months- they are constantly picking at the tank bottom.

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i just purchased cleaner crew from a guy in the biz who i consider a trusted source. for my 12 gal nano he recommended/provided 5 each of red and blue crabs, and mix of 10 different snails

its just over a week and i noticed just tonite that one of the blue's was munching on the remains of one of his blue buddies. i also noticed earlier in the day as one of the snails basically shook a blue leg of off him....as if little blue was gettin feisty.

other than these 2 issues, they seem to get along okay. they dont mingle too much and seem to avoid one another.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Scarlet hermit crabs are actually found on reefs whereas blue legged hermit crabs are found in intertidal zones as well as mangroves, etc. Blue legged hermit crabs are more agressive and "dwarf" crabs will end up being more trouble as they outgrow their shells and start bothering other things that have shells in your tank.

-Alfred

S

sparkysreef

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
ECFENCING said:
I have to second daceman. The blue legs are completely evil. Better to do your research than to find empty snail shells every morning when you wake up.

I will 3rd that. Stick with the scarlets which are much more docile. I might be biased but I like to keep large tubo snails too. JMO

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: