Drilling Returns - Page 2 - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Reefs for Beginners  /  Drilling Returns
04-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Small snails,protein build up...

04-04-2011, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownWaters View Post
Small snails,protein build up...
Good to know, I run two on my 210 and they have a clear housing so you can see if anything gets caught in them and nothing so far, been up for almost a year. Either way my sump can definitely handle the extra water anyways so I'm not worried if they happen to fail but they still work fine.

04-04-2011, 12:51 AM
I guess as a failsafe they are ok but I would not become dependeant on a check valve no way in hell.

Reefs R Madness!
04-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CONSTANTNE View Post
I drilled my return an inch or two high than the overflow hole. Even if you mess up just raise your locline later on so it takes less water down into the sump.
Good to know. Thanks for the pointers

www.saltwatercritters.com
04-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefs4life View Post
Good to know, I run two on my 210 and they have a clear housing so you can see if anything gets caught in them and nothing so far, been up for almost a year. Either way my sump can definitely handle the extra water anyways so I'm not worried if they happen to fail but they still work fine.

Fortunato, the problem is not that they never work. They'll work 100% of the time, until the moment they don't work. Then you could have a flood. Odds are that it'll clog when you're not home either.

Like Tony said, never ever would I rely on a check valve. It actually gives you a false sense of security. I'd never ever use one on my own system or any customer of ours.

Russ