RareZ

Azad
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Hi, Few months ago I got 2 cleaner shrimps (separately) with Eggs, they both had eggs, so I thought they are both females, but a week ago I see both of them with eggs again, is that possible? Are they hermaphrodite? If so is there anyway for me to hatch these babies? Anyway to save the eggs and get some babies out of them?
:Thinking:

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
RareZ said:
Hi, Few months ago I got 2 cleaner shrimps (separately) with Eggs, they both had eggs, so I thought they are both females, but a week ago I see both of them with eggs again, is that possible? Are they hermaphrodite? If so is there anyway for me to hatch these babies? Anyway to save the eggs and get some babies out of them?
:Thinking:

Dont bother ,too hard let them do thier thing and feed your tank
Free fish and Coral food :tongueani

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I agree with Ronen.

I had a mated pair too, or so I thought. They actually change jobs every time they breed. One month one carries the eggs the other fertilizes them. The next month they switch. So yes, they are hermaphroditic, sort of. A true hermaphrodite carries both sexes and doesn't need another to reproduce. In this case there still needs to be two of them.

master

griMReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
regal said:
don't bother raising the babies. I have 4 cleaners and 2 peppermints with eggs that hatch every few days after the lights go off. Just let them be.

yaah i dunno what the missing ingredient in successfully raising them things but i had a 12 gal set up with just a pair of skunks and only biological filtration one week there would be cute tiny baby skunks dancing around in the water the next week they would disappear despite feeding green saltwater and baby bs.

:sad2:

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I don't know about them being Hermaphroditic, I've never heard that about shrimp before. However, that has nothing to do with them carrying eggs. A lot of female inverts will produce eggs on schedule without the presence of a male. You probably have 2 females that are just doing their thing regardless. I had a female with fertilized eggs once and over about a week I watched them grow to the point they were clearly no longer eggs but little alien looking things with eyes clinging to the females swimmerettes. The skunk cleaner shrimp goes through so many stages of development that it would be near impossible to raise any to even a small baby. Each stage has such a specialized diet that even if you could supply what they needed it would be a 24 hr a day job just breeding all the stuff you needed to breed your shrimp. So just look at it as a treat for your fish and corals. Farthest I have ever gotten with babies is a few days in tank as free floating larvae before I never saw any again.

griMReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah they're hermaphroditic. put most any two skunk cleaner shrimp together and one may notice the first few days after their "First contact" they will spend alot of time with their back "arched" and their legs busy "down there". in a nutshell they take turns fertilizing each others eggs. :lol: in groups of more than 2 i noticed most if not all eventually are perpetually carrying and releasing eggs cyclically.

the free swimming larval stage is a long 3 months (-ish) and then even if they make it that far, people say so far they haven't been able to figure out what triggers them to settle.

so without settling they pretty much waste away, it seems, again if they even make it that far feeding on tiny planktonic particles as they themselves are plankton before they settle.

on a more positive note shrimperies have a good track record of "cracking the code" for many species fw and sw shrimp, so its just a matter of time before they are successfully offering more lysmata species. it looks grim in hobby tanks, though, so we just appreciate the fresh nutritious food source.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
0966778421.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0966778421/?tag=reefs04-20

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: