joegoersch

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my first fish, a purple firefish. It's hiding under a rock and won't come out. I've since read that purple firefish do well in pairs. Is o.k. to have just one or should I buy another ?

I have a 29 gallon tank with 29 gallon refugium.

Thanks.

NanoAquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.5%
364   2   0
The Red Firefish and Purple Firefish act a little differently. The Red one is a little less aggressive and keeping them schooled in odd numbers is preferred. The purple will not do so well in a small tank with its own sex. It's a risk:happysad: And to tell the gender on any firefish is almost damn near impossible:tongue1:

Firefish are schooling fish and do better in schools of 3 or more. here's a link to a small detail;

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1636+168&pcatid=168

joegoersch

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That explains a lot !

The Red Firefish and Purple Firefish act a little differently. The Red one is a little less aggressive and keeping them schooled in odd numbers is preferred. The purple will not do so well in a small tank with its own sex. It's a risk:happysad: And to tell the gender on any firefish is almost damn near impossible:tongue1:

That explains why I've read some contradicting stuff on the internet. I'll guess I'll stick with just the one purple firefish.

Apparently it isn't hard to tell the sex of a purple firefish PROVIDING you are a purple firefish :fishhit:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: