strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Why filtering water does not make it safe? In commercial setup, even ick can be filtered out.

There may be still some toxins left but it far less than artificial salt mix that are introduced during processing. There were couple studies about the ocean water vs artifical salt mix including the Advanced Aquarist that you can find info. of. This water is processed and I will not doubt their safety.

My response was to the poster pointing out it's from "Way out" not in the inlet or harbor. Nothing to do with filtering it.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Actually

When collecting water from the ocean they suggest you go a few miles out or wait till the tide comes in if you cant get out farther.

Paul B can help you with that info.

So i guess they collect cleaner water and filter it and make it cleaner.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I think that was on topic the person asked what the atlantic ocean water has tested at.

In the scope of the conversation about Natural Sea Water, i beleive it would apply to the topic of how good can the catalina water be and how does it compare to the levels in Water collected from the Atlantic.

Paul is the only person i know who collects that water, so me suggesting that they ask him is spot on.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
My response was to the poster pointing out it's from "Way out" not in the inlet or harbor. Nothing to do with filtering it.

Taken out of context, anything can seem foolish. I wrote my statement in response to someone saying ocean water would smell terrible if you let it sit for a week. I was not suggesting that filtering alone will clear up any problems in the water, just prevent it from getting all stinky. Also, if you are to collect sea water to use for fish tanks, you must go out a certain distance, you can not just collect anywhere. Most Stores in Florida use real sea Water, not salt mix......you need to read what is quoted also, not just what is newly written.:fight2:

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Paul is the only person i know who collects that water, so me suggesting that they ask him is spot on.

I think Altantis Aquarium also get water from the sea, but I am not sure how they treats his water though. Paul B uses chlorine, I was told.

I personally feel, ocean water not treated may not be suitable for our captive reefs(as our animals are too spoiled) while treated ocean water like the Petco' bottled sea water are pretty safe to use.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Taken out of context, anything can seem foolish. I wrote my statement in response to someone saying ocean water would smell terrible if you let it sit for a week. I was not suggesting that filtering alone will clear up any problems in the water, just prevent it from getting all stinky. Also, if you are to collect sea water to use for fish tanks, you must go out a certain distance, you can not just collect anywhere. Most Stores in Florida use real sea Water, not salt mix......you need to read what is quoted also, not just what is newly written.:fight2:

A little "Testy" huh? I took NOTHING out of context actually. You wrote "That is why they filter the water....its also not water from a harbor, or inlet....they go out far to collect it..

My POINT was that where it is collected from does NOT guarantee clean water, The filtering does. Yes it will likely be of better quality than "Harbor" or "Inlet" water.

Sorry if I offended you with my post... ;)

46nBliss

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I think that was on topic the person asked what the atlantic ocean water has tested at.

In the scope of the conversation about Natural Sea Water, i beleive it would apply to the topic of how good can the catalina water be and how does it compare to the levels in Water collected from the Atlantic.

Agreed. I will Ask Paul if he doesn't chime in.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
A little "Testy" huh? I took NOTHING out of context actually. You wrote "That is why they filter the water....its also not water from a harbor, or inlet....they go out far to collect it..

My POINT was that where it is collected from does NOT guarantee clean water, The filtering does. Yes it will likely be of better quality than "Harbor" or "Inlet" water.

Sorry if I offended you with my post... ;)

Its all good....sorry if i "sounded" angry

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
If this is your attempt at sarcasm...please stick to spitting in peoples food!

:rolleyes:
Yes,,, Sarcasm. I used this water with good results for over a year.
I also used NSW for a 6 Gal. nano in my office at work for 2 years. All Softies. This water came from Manhasset Bay about 1 foot off the dock. Everything thrived with no algae issues.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Yes,,, Sarcasm. I used this water with good results for over a year.
I also used NSW for a 6 Gal. nano in my office at work for 2 years. All Softies. This water came from Manhasset Bay about 1 foot off the dock. Everything thrived with no algae issues.

Besides coral is there fish in the tanks that use this water? If so, what are they? Do they ever show pathogens like ick or such?

cjosephson66

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anything bought or sold in petco is simply garbage. if your too lazy to do a water change with proper water and a quality salt, in my opinion you shouldnt be in the hobby.

That's not a nice comment. I'm not lazy and I used that water when I had to do emergency changes. You do what you have to do to save your fish so how is that being lazy?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: