cjosephson66

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have the same system set up ( Red Sea 34d) . It's been running for 2 years now. I went through something similar when I first set it up. I can say with some experience that it is/was most likely the lights being on for 12 hours a day. I can tell you that is way too much especially for not having an coral. I have all types in my tank flourishing and I keep on the lights for just under 8 hours. You may want to do less time considering you don't have any corals set up. I say try running the lights 7 hours a day for a few days and see what happens. Good luck ! ~Andrew

I switched it to 8 for now and will gradually change to 5 over the next month.

Thanks.

cjosephson66

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey glad to see the tank doing better good luck with it .

Thank you so much. It's really good to know that you have a community to turn to when you're in trouble because it seems that it's a hit or miss when I go to the LFS. I guess it depends on who you get when you go there.

But I want to thank everyone for their help.

cjosephson66

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have the same system set up ( Red Sea 34d) . It's been running for 2 years now. I went through something similar when I first set it up. I can say with some experience that it is/was most likely the lights being on for 12 hours a day. I can tell you that is way too much especially for not having an coral. I have all types in my tank flourishing and I keep on the lights for just under 8 hours. You may want to do less time considering you don't have any corals set up. I say try running the lights 7 hours a day for a few days and see what happens. Good luck ! ~Andrew

I have the lights set to go on for 7 hours now. But ever since I sucked up the algae and did 2 water changes I noticed my Nitirite is at 0.1 now. My dwarf flame angel freaked out and scratched his eye on a rock so now he has popeye. I just did another 5g water change and added the maracyn two according to mfg. directions but I can't do another water change until the medicine has been in his system.

My question is, should I wait the 5 days for the medicine and then do another water change? The other fish are fine and eating as normal so I know it's not affecting them, yet. . .

I appreciate your help because I am totally freaking out over this disaster.

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
I think u should be fine. Leaving the lights on less would work for the algae problem. As for the fish issue I'm not sure since I have yet to experience that issue.

I'm sure someone on here can answer that.

cjosephson66

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think u should be fine. Leaving the lights on less would work for the algae problem. As for the fish issue I'm not sure since I have yet to experience that issue.

I'm sure someone on here can answer that.

Thanks. Leaving the lights on for 7 hours seems to be doing wonders on the algae. It's been 2 days and no more outbreaks. I have also been feeding less so that's been a plus too. After the medicine is done I'm going to do a larger water change of 40% to remove any traces of nitrite left from the medication so that should help (I hope).

Thanks again for all of your help.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: