saltyweeds

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for all the advice. I'll go purchase a phosphate test kit to make sure. What would cause the phosphates if I'm using RO/DI? I'm assuming if it is a phosphate issue what removers are recommended (Rowas, Ecophos)?

griMReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saltyweeds said:
Thanks for all the advice. I'll go purchase a phosphate test kit to make sure. What would cause the phosphates if I'm using RO/DI? I'm assuming if it is a phosphate issue what removers are recommended (Rowas, Ecophos)?

could be coming from some leach whether the ro/di (check the hookups and all) or bad substrate or food. do you hav a refugium for algae 'scrubbing'?

kalkwasser helps precipitate phosphorus. heck if i remember correctly even helped knock ick off my fish a few times!

jiggy

hi
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
refugiums r over rated.. many bb sps only tank users dont use fuges.. just another place for unwanted bacteria and dirt to collect and hide

elosusa

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure to get a good phosphate kit. Most are junk. I had a salifert was reading 0 and my elos kit read .25 on the same tank. Which is a huge difference because most SPS will stop growing at those levels. The tap water is likely your source and it is going to take some large water changes with good salt and RO/DI to get this turned around. With the algae the best thing to do is remove it manually when you are doing those water changes along with getting a bigger clean up crew of hermits and snails. Good luck with it.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
griMReefer said:
dosing KALKWASSER is the easy secret to growing coralline. i know its oldfashion and messy, but if you do it, coralline WILL grow :)

could be coming from some leach whether the ro/di (check the hookups and all) or bad substrate or food. do you hav a refugium for algae 'scrubbing'?

kalkwasser helps precipitate phosphorus. heck if i remember correctly even helped knock ick off my fish a few times!

Yes kalk will help precipatate phosphates, but then how do you suggest they exit the system?(I'm not sure).

KALKWASSER WILL NOT FIX THE PROBLEM:supermad: , it's that simple. Neither will B-ionic. If you have other algaes growing in the system, you have phosphates. Fix that problem and you'll be surprised, that you didn't have to change anything else.

DRZL is right, all this purple up stuff is a gimmick. Chances are when someone gets it to "work" they just got lucky and started dosing right when the tank was ready to begin growth on its own.

Get better test kits because as DRZL said the kits your using aren't the best.

JMO,
Kris

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
DRZL said:
Kris ur a pimp! :D

LOL...he pimp-slapped em'
slap.gif

griMReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL about refugiums being useless. very distateful generalist statement to make! tell that to the thousands of mandarins or any other popular reef fish that die of starvation because their lazy reefer didnt wanna bother with more blabla to clean or whatever. most surface and subsurface bacteria other than cyano in the reef are good!!!

kalwasser helps precipate any trace PO4 in your top water BEFORE you add it and AFTER:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/chem.htm

:smash:

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Grim it also precipitates out your Magnesium, and if your mag is low, theres no vehicle for corals to calcify through wether ca is at 500 or 390

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I know when Deep was having probs w/ his coralline, he bought that purple up crap (even though I explicitly told him not to;) ) he found out on his own on that one...sheesh

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: