premilove

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo bioballs are a bad idea. skimmer - fuge - pump or if you have 2 drains, skimmer - pump - fuge, drain into skimmer chamber and fuge chamber

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Water height shouldn't be much more than 3/4 of the way up so your sump can hold the water that'll drain down from the display in the case of a power outage.

In regards to design there's typically 2 different ways of doing it, the usual design has the first chamber as the skimmer second as fuge and third as a return. The other I like a little better and has the fuge on the left (or right) and the return on the middle with a tee junction coming down from your display and 2 drains one coming into the skimmer section and one into the fuge, you'd then put a ball valve on the fuge drain. The point of the second design is to get slow flow from the fuge and as much contact time as possible.

I found a picture online this is the basic principle:

refugium3.jpg

The return goes in the middle, skimmer on the right and fuge is on the left and it basically cascades down into the return. The fuge is a slow flow area permitting the water more contact time with the algae and dsb.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: