House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Best to rinse in a 5g pail of RO/DI water, but you can get away with rinsing in tap water ONLY if you have low TDS rating AND you let it drain thoroughly after rinsing.

Prolonged use with this method will eventually put silicates and phosphates and eventually bloom algae in my opinion.

Hope that helps,

House

Thanks for the replies, second noob question (assumption), I should rinse in SW, correct ? :scratchch

saveourship

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Question: If the bag doesn't fit in your hang on filter, can you take the contents out of the bag and just add where you previously placed other filter material?

the contents of what's in the factory bag look to be really small and loose; I wouldn't recommend removing any media from it's factory housing, in my opinion. I only say that because if you did remove the media, there is a possibility of tiny black particles/ dust flying around your tank and could be a pain to remove.

saveourship

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They are very small. However, I rinsed it very well placed it in and haven't had any problems. Only minor issue is the mass is less than the amount of carbon I was putting in so it's a bit louder now.

I fashioned a home made media basket when I found it's better to not use the bioballs that come with the biocube 14; so to increase the "filter surface" the water would pass through, I figure to tuck a bunch of polyfil around the chemipure bag to ensure the water first hit the bag. You could also try using a larger bag of chemipure, I'm using the smallest to start.

saveourship

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Could I add some carbon to it in order to take up more space in the media basket in order to quiet it down a bit?

There could be some benefit to adding additional carbon, not sure, maybe some of the chemistry savvy reefers here could chime in.

I always say follow the directions, but, if you trust the media bag that will house the combined chemipure and activated carbon, then try it. If it works, maybe you found yourself a cheaper filter media delivery system. Calculate the time and money over the course of the year to have a $ amount that makes it worth your time.

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Chemi pure elite, why not just get two reactors one with brs rox carbon the other with gfo? Buy the two in bulk you'll save yourself a hell of alot of money and it'll do the samething. I would go as far as saying that chemipure wouldnt even polish your water like BRS's premium rox carbon. Not knocking on chemi pure just weighing the pros and cons.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: