Rating - 100%
64   0   0
russ these bubbles i circled and what type of corals are those anyone no.. i got like 3 of em as hitchikers on the new live rock...

Attachments

• br.JPG
    br.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 69

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
The coral itself looks like Euphyllia (trumpet, candy cane) coral. A bit bleached out in color but that's what it looks like.

As for the bubbles, they look like valonia to me. A nice close up pic of it would be better. But that must be asking for too much for my free advice. I turn away from you Bozo's. Get it right and then call me! :batangel:

master

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
ummm wingo is has alot... for example my 2 sps corals that were given to me half dead did not make it... so i left them in the tank to see if they would come back but they died fully... one frag had a little cyano on it cause it will grow on the dead parts.. when the lights were on it would take over the entire dead coral.. when the lights were off it would all come off and u could see the white of the coral... just an example of what has happened to me...

light does have an affect...

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
jackson6745 said:
Wingo pop those bubbles with a tooth pick :) No big deal

OK, thanks.

Hope the whole thing is no big deal too. Just step by another member's tank-he has 10 times more than mine and his tank is considered stable so I guess I am in luck.:dog2:

All readings are still zero-did not see any spike anywhere-strange.
Will get a phospate testor tomorrow to check this key element.

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
WingoAgency said:
OK, thanks.

Hope the whole thing is no big deal too. Just step by another member's tank-he has 10 times more than mine and his tank is considered stable so I guess I am in luck.:dog2:

All readings are still zero-did not see any spike anywhere-strange.
Will get a phospate testor tomorrow to check this key element.

yeah but my cyno is on my back glass not the rocks:fishhit::smash:

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
jhale said:

Please elaborate the difference. Is it that when they are on the rocks, it's harder to clean or is it the problem is more severe or ......

Also just like your biologist friend said, the algae just know how to find/make food on its own. Nitrate levels has always been zero, they still survive.

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
i do not like having it in the tank, but on the glass it is not hurting anything, and it's super easy to siphon off.

on the rocks it's covering the life growing on them and killing it.

once cyno bacteria establish's itself in a tank it's tough to remove,
effective skimming and or water changes are the best ways to keep it under control.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Just to clear one thing. Cyano is not an algae. Its a bacteria. It has bees dubber red slime "algae" because cyano bacteria is believed to be the evolutionary link between bacteria and algae. Cyano is not neccessarily a bad thing. Its only bad when it takes over your aquarium. This means that there are too many nutrients in the system. As long as it is manageable its fine. And EVERY system contains cyano. Some more visible than others.

Cyano gets its nutrients in 2 ways:
1. Photosynthesis - apparent by the bubbles it produces.
2. "eats" the detritus on the substrate and in the rocks.

This basically means that even if you turn off the lights completely, the cyano can still grow. The only way to remove cyano completely is to "cook" your rock (letting the rock sit in a dark vat with powerhjeads and skimmer for more than a month) That way both lights and nutrients are not available and the cyano will eventually die off. Since that is quite a drastic measure the only other way is to do waterchanges (RODI WATER!!!!!!) And to manually siphon off the cyano until it is all in manageable quantities. Then keep up the husbandry so the cyano will not come back

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
jhale said:

I also have some cyano growing in one corner on the back wall. :happysad: Since I actually have to look behind some rocks for it, it can claim that area as Cyano-ville :fishhit:

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
hermangareis said:
Just to clear one thing. Cyano is not an algae. Its a bacteria. ..........the only other way is to do waterchanges (RODI WATER!!!!!!) And to manually siphon off the cyano until it is all in manageable quantities. Then keep up the husbandry so the cyano will not come back

Thanks for reminding

Yup it is a bacteria.
and I will opt the choice of manual changing water if the cyano becomes unmanagable. Good excise for my body too.

tonyscoot84 said:
and a good camera damn... lolz

Finally after much debate, within myself, about money versus fun, I ordered the Panasonic FZ7S. Hope the anti shakey hands features really work for me.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Tony,

I finally got my camera!!! I love it. This is the tank we moved into my basement. I finally made that stand. I still did not hook up the RO Unit, never have enough time. With the RO in place and muscle building water changes I think the Cyano will be gone(at least should be in check)

MyFirstSWTank55G31Days1024x768P1000022copy.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I cannot tell bcause I have no visual experience before. All I know is from the book and the book would not show you progress pictures. That's why I keep on comparing to other members in the board recently by physically going there and ask stupid embarassing questions like "what is this?", "Is it good or bad"....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: