nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Thats cyanobacteria or diatoms. It's a nuisance algae. Are you still going through your cycle?

What are your water parameters?

Your live rock isn't bubbling, the algae is forming "sheets" and bubbles form beneath them.

Water changes, up the skimmer(wetter might be better), and just try to get a clean up crew in the tank if you haven't done so already. Also when changing water siphon as much of the algae out as you can. Eventually it will subside.

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
310   0   0
As kris mentioned that sounds like cyano to me as well. Check your water parameters, especially nitrates and phosphates. Can you post a pic to verify?

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Its cyano going through photosynthesis. Oxygen is a byproduct. It gets trapped in the carpets of cyano and it slowly lifts up. Underneath the pockets of air are pockets of detritus. All that needs to be removed.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
So sad I still did not have a camera yet. It could very well be the new rock with the coral I just picked up from Magneto. That rock does have a lot of hairy green aglae.

Oddly enough, the bubbles do not appear in the green area of his rock but only with the red/purple area of mine and the only tiny red area of his.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
You have coral in this tank?
Now you've got hair algae too, thats not a good thing. I doubt that once rock would spread the algae throughout the time in no time.

BTW those red/purple areas of the rock is probably the cyano(It's not a good thing and everyones working under assumption due to lack of pics).

Do you at least know your water parameters?
-Kris

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
WingoAgency said:
Don't know what's going on, the rocks are bubbling very slowly. They grow in size and may be numbers(can't tell). Some bubbles even have red aglae on them.

Rocks bubbling? :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
nanoreefer22 said:
You have coral in this tank?
Now you've got hair algae too, thats not a good thing. I doubt that once rock would spread the algae throughout the time in no time.

BTW those red/purple areas of the rock is probably the cyano(It's not a good thing and everyones working under assumption due to lack of pics).

Do you at least know your water parameters?
-Kris

Yes, I do have corals here since day one. It has been 24 days since I pick it up from a former reefer for which the whole tank is a mud pot.

I clear it up and the coral seems happy so far. I got a skimmer 2 days ago and there were some skimmate. The water has been always crystal clear the 2nd day after I put back the rocks, coral and sand into the tank.

I remember seeing this bubbling once but cannot remember what did I do. Tonight is the 2nd time I see it. Just as a reminder, the hair algae I was talking about is not in my tank before. They are on the rock that I got today. All the corals that's on the rock are swelling/opening and the mushroom is like double the size before I pick it up from Magneto. Some of my coral even open up more than before that looks like they smell food or something.

Also I have cleaned the glass this morning.

Last time (i.e. before the new stuff) water parameters were
nitrite=0
nitrate=0
ammonia = ~.25-.5
ph= 8.2 or 8.4 (4got)

will do a test soon
Now
gravity = 1.021
temp: 81.8
nitrite = 0
nitrate = 0
ammonia = 0

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
well wingo i could tell you this u said when you 1st put in the rocks there was bubbling.. yes there will def. be bubbling how much i dont no i guess it depends on how porous the rock is.. when u take out the rock and then put it back into the aqaurium it will have pockets of air inside of it... which eventually get released from it.. but thats when u 1st put the rock in... now it could be anything a pic would be great.... so we can identify the problem now as nanoreefer said... were to help ya buddy.. help us help u... this way we could actually see what ur talking about and we can try to give you a good solution to your problem...

temp - is a little high average is 79-80
salinity - to low average is 1.024 - 1.025

have u tested for phosphates...?

ps. HP sells a 4 megapixel camera for like a 100.00... im pretty sure u could find one cheaper... i would find one and take them pics... lolz.. good luck wingo.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
well wingo i could tell you this u said when you 1st put in the rocks there was bubbling.. yes there will def. be bubbling how much i dont no i guess it depends on how porous the rock is.. when u take out the rock and then put it back into the aqaurium it will have pockets of air inside of it... which eventually get released from it.. but thats when u 1st put the rock in... now it could be anything a pic would be great.... so we can identify the problem now as nanoreefer said... were to help ya buddy.. help us help u... this way we could actually see what ur talking about and we can try to give you a good solution to your problem...

temp - is a little high average is 79-80
salinity - to low average is 1.024 - 1.025

have u tested for phosphates...?

ps. HP sells a 4 megapixel camera for like a 100.00... im pretty sure u could find one cheaper... i would find one and take them pics... lolz.. good luck wingo.

haha , the air pocket trapping air is out of the issue. Those rocks has been in the tank for 24 day already. SO most if not all of the air must have released or dissolved. True temp is a little high because i can hardly controlt he room temp in my basement. The conroller has a better AI thanme. I cannot master it.:banghead: Id od need to get a camera for sure becuase :dead: w/o a pic

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
aaron23 said:
why did you have amonia before bewilders me and you put live stock in it.....

Because I buy the whole setup from a former reefer who already have some live stock and I do not ahave nother tank to hold them. I think this tank has better environmenmt for them than my temperary holding tank. soooo...i guess....well... i duno....may be just like to see them swimming around or .....:tongue:

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
WingoAgency said:
Because I buy the whole setup from a former reefer who already have some live stock and I do not ahave nother tank to hold them. I think this tank has better environmenmt for them than my temperary holding tank. soooo...i guess....well... i duno....may be just like to see them swimming around or .....:tongue:

I have to be honest with you! That kind of atittude towards living creatures just pisses me off dude. You ask - we answer - you dont listen and just continue with bogus theories. Just do it right man! SHEESH!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: