John D Hirsch MD

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name is Dr. John Hirsch, ?Doc? and I?m excited to host this forum on Aquarium Nutrition and its effects on our amazing hobby. I believe this is just as important as talking about chemistry, husbandry, or even equipment. It is clearly the least understood aspect of our hobby and I?d like to shine some light on it.

This forum is for all hobbyist, from beginners to experienced, who want to better understand the role of healthy nutrition in a successful aquarium. The more you understand about nutrition and malnutrition, the better decisions you will make for your aquarium. Never forget you are Mother Nature controlling every variable good or bad for your ecosystem.

Over the next week I will have a blog that will post here on Reefs.com.
I hope everyone takes the opportunity to read through it. I?m a strong proponent of mimicking Mother Nature; Biomimicry. There are many right ways and even more wrong ways, so I look forward to engaging discussions about how we collectively continue to improve on our reef keeping skills.

Doc

Last edited by a moderator:

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Looking forward to learning more.
For me it always is a struggle to find a good balance of proper nutrition and remain focus on nutrient control.
I would much rather feed little of the right nutrition food as opposed to lots of different foods with the blind hopes of achieving the right nutrition.
But like many other things, it seems whatever is good for you (or the fish), is likely going to cause nutrient problems, is not readily available, not affordable, or requires a DIY solution.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
ty josh you know over the years we have had a few make post and dont have a clue, will definately read the reefs.com i just dont make it on alot anymore to keep up

John D Hirsch MD

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, this is a hobby and not a commercial fishing operation raising food for consumption. These are our pets. I likely will "ruffle some feathers" but believe the more your understand about healthy nutrition, the better reef keeper you will be.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: