marklugo23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.3%
78   3   0
i got my hands on a gorgeous 6' colony... my alk spiked from 9 to 10.5 due to a wc that i didnt due carefully...the nedt day a few of the tips had brown algae on them. i dipped the coral in coral rx for 15 min..in hopes to prwvent thw apread...it is at the top w max indirect current....any advise on thewe suckers?

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Oh man i just hope it doesnt spread onto other corals. I had siniliar thing happen to me recently. Pretty much wiped out my whole tank. It spread onto my acans than my torches then my hammer and frogspawn to my candy canes and duncans. I mean it just destroyed everything. I wish i just cut off infected area and put in a qt tank and monitor it than what happened to me. Be very careful. No joke!!

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do as BKLYNREEF123, I generally will not dip a coral if it gets burnt tips, as it can add further stress. Better to either clip the tips or just leave them be.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Oh, wow. Good luck man. I've had sps get over alk spikes before but it was only with watching and maintaining consistency afterwards. Luckily you caught it. From here it's a wait.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would frag off the tips that have algae on them. I have lost a few colonies by not stopping the algae before it covered the entire coral. If the clipped tips show any coral life, you could always let them heal and see if you get some frags out of them.

marklugo23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.3%
78   3   0
now that i thnk about it, the dip doesnt sound so smart...well its been dipped...i also also lost my hawkins, so you are right about the smooth skinned ones going first =( i had to chio away anothet inch today...but my tank is slowly recovering. to make things worse, i woke up 3 days ago and my tank was alll cloudy and glass full of algae!!! the bio pellet reactor stopped working, no clue why..pumo was on but al the pelets were clumped. after fixing that, i noticed my skimmer going yonkers, had to drastically reduce my wster level in sump to orevent skimmer from overflowing..a lot of froth being collected, water is slowly clearing up ...and all my lev3ls are fine...its like when it rains, it pours in this hobby!!! anyone else go thru this? the reactor didnt work for 1 night!!! and all this!?!

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
Starting the SPS at the top of the tank may have played a role. They need time adjusting to different lights; I like to start mine down low for a couple weeks before moving them up. In my experience, keeping corals in low light while they're recovering helps

Mu8st7ang1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
5cfd930d74f170441bf92a5cc6c85429.jpg

I picked this bad boy up last week already starting to get a little pinkish looks great

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: