nyfynest22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
tank is 72x30x2 hey everyone my ? is should i go with 400mh or 250? i was thinking 400 because since the mh has to be about 14 inches from the bulb to the water plus the 30 inches high on the tank your talking about 44 inches to the bottom of tank, i just feel that getting 400 mh 12k at 3x times would do it, and get a coralvue ballast where if it was to much i can dim it down what do you guys think??

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
What do you plant to keep in this reef? Why does the MH have to be 14" from the water? Is that the heigh it will be mounted in the canopy or something?

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
i run 250's and my tank is 30 deep. no real problems as far as i can tell...just plan out your placement of corals and you will be fine.

Last edited:

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The height will depend on the reflectors you use, standard spider reflectors will be fine at 8" but jumping to Lumenarc/Lumenbright you'll want them 14" to 16" off the water. The bulb wattage will depend on your livestock choices on the bottom, zoas/softies/LPS and 250s are fine; clams or SPS and you'll want 400s. With either choice just remember to keep the canopy well vented so the temps don't jump during the summer months.

isgon26

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
420   0   0
I have 250 mh and they are 8 inches from the water. I have a 150 which is 27" high. Just keep the sps to the top and you'll be fine. I have a ton of sps's and they are doing great. But if your not worried about the light bill go right ahead and do the 400's.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
250s will be fine just dont plan on keeping SPS and clams on the bottom. Chiller will depend on the temp of the room the tank is in.

shaunsreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks shaun for the helpful tip. this was a honest ? just not a honest answer on your end, next time just say you dont know. thanks to everyone else who has really helped me out, thanks jarret for the thread. anyone else?

But i do know !!! But u dont listen to what i tell u...and u keep asking thousands of people, and u will get thousands of different answers....Listen to the ones u trust,,AND its not all about how much money it is..Sometimes big money means u spent it for nothing..IMO

Thanks Shauns DAD
Im teaching him :shhh:

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I posted a thread On Rc and more people told me to stay with 400w then 250w when going 220gal, Do a search on 220gal and not many people have 250w
I think if you buy ballist that dim you should be fine then wanting to buy 400w later on.
Good luck

Also fans reduced temps 2-3deg

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
If you go that big I would always have a chiller for back up anyway? Alot of coral you dont want to crash due to heat.
Do you have Ac's in the room?
You would be suprised what just fans could do to drop temp?
My tank is 6inch off water and I never have chiller go on but then again I have not run my tank yet in the summer.
I just did alot of research before I went to 400w and I just say to many tall tanks with 400w. I hate to see you spend money on 250w and in 3 months want 400w.
Go to Rc and there is someone selling 3-400w ballist,reflectors and bulbs for a good price.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: