Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
General consensus basically..

As long as its done in pretty small increments, relative to your tank size.. it shouldn't be a big deal.

If you are planning on adding "live" sand... that would most probably cause some sort of spike in ammonia.

islesfan4lyf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This question has been asked a thousand times on here. Try this http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Adding+Sand+to+Established+Tank

Rough Day?

It's probably much easier to pass over the thread then waste your time with a reply and be a.....I'll leave that part out.

So to the other people who actually answered my question. You guys are saying it's probably a better idea to pass over the 'live' sand and just go with safe for aquarium sand?

I plan on using a pvc pipe to get the sand down with minimal cloudiness.

Any recommendations on what is a nice looking sand?

Thanks again.

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
I suppose he could have said please
Just in case you missed it, I was being sarcastic. For the record I agree with Lenny (who I don't think was trying to be difficult). This site has a great search feature that can provide you some answers a lot faster than people can respond. And that's in addition to the wealth of information available elsewhere.

Last edited:

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Adding live sand, from another tank, is fine, as long as there is not die off. It is simple to cure live sand in a bucket, if needed. However, I have purchased Caribian Aragonite live sand in plastic bags and had no recycle.

However, I know when I leave out dry sand in a bucket, it will smell bad. And that stuff, I would not put in a tank, without recycling...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: