Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I have used kalk on mine and it worked, but I had to take the rocks out of the tank. The trick is to get a syringe with an actual needle - not one of those plastic syringes that come with joe's juice - and insert the needle into the body of the aiptasia. If you use one of the plastic ones, the aiptasia can spit it out. After you inject them, you need to rinse the rocks and scrape the area with either a scalpel or forceps to make sure you have all the aiptasia bits off of them. Then put the rock back in the tank. I had a lot and did this with all the ones I could see, then dumped the peppermints and everything in there to maintain. It does work but you must be thorough and you must scrape the rock when you are done or it will come back.

I made a thread a while back about how I killed them. You can see the type of needle I used there.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/21771-aiptasia-majano-destruction.html

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well once again i will state i used joe juice, aipstia x, stop aipstia kalk. boiling water. and it did not work.. it killed fora week and then 5 more came up in its place. i hav 4 pep shmp but they dont seem to want to eat them and bristle filefish, who hides all day. there been an improvement, but i did it myself ive taken rock out and sprayd them with a hose. which blasted off the aipstia. i hav about 5 rocks left that in fested but there are the largest rocks. the other ones were small...they are also the ones with corals on them so im trying to fin other ways to solve it.

Hi meagheavz ;-)
Keep calm and believe that you are going to solve the problem :)...we know you can and will solve the problem and we believe in you (I just wish I was living closer and those :DarthVadeiptasia would be history by now...)
There is another way that I did not mention previously but it works, especially when you deal with rocks that have some corals attached. Its very simple and effective as I could experience and is used when you have to very precisely aim the action and avoid damaging anything else or disturb the water parameters, and KathyC already gave you part of the treatment, which is, selecting one rock at the time, take it out and put it in a bucket filled with your tank water but instead of using Kalkwasser solution, in this case you will use an old knife and fire....

1st - Select one rock with corals attached, and only one!
2nd - Select a container which you know will provide enough room for both you to operate, meaning grab the rock, pull it out and place it back without damaging any corals.
3rd - Choose and cheap old steel butter knife or meat knife, depending on the precision you have to use (maybe both and the reason for it to be old is because you could damage it in the process)
4th - Light a fire or simply use a a cigarette lighter (and don?t burn your fingers in the process:irked::Blurp:)
5th - Light the the cigarette lighter and place the blade of the knife on top od the blue flame, as this is hotter than the yellow part of the flame (30 seconds to a minute should be enough)
6th - Once the heating time has elapsed, turn off the lighter (watch where you put it down as it will be very hot) and pick up the rock and position the hot, or red hot blade on top of the Aiptasia for some 5 seconds, after which you put back the rock in the bucket. Repeat the operation for every Aiptasia and try not to exceed 30 minutes in this operation.
7th - Pick up the rock form the bucket and clean with tank salt water the places where you melted down the Aiptasia.
8th - After cleaning as per 7th, put the rock back in the tank.

proceed like this progressively, rock by rock, until you are satisfied with the result. You will be preserving the biological life and capacity of the rock, and you will also eradicate the :DarthVadeiptasia

I've done this procedure some times when needed and it is effectively terminal.
Please keep us updated

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Last edited:

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Don't Let another Sea Slug go Hungry...Feed them Today!!

berghia_23title.jpg

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I've done this too, except instead of using a knife i used a butane lighter and applied directly to the aiptasia. Made them boil within their own "skin" pretty funny to look at. And with the butane lighter i had no collateral damage cause it's a directed high intensity flame.

Hi meagheavz ;-)
Keep calm and believe that you are going to solve the problem :)...we know you can and will solve the problem and we believe in you (I just wish I was living closer and those :DarthVadeiptasia would be history by now...)
There is another way that I did not mention previously but it works, especially when you deal with rocks that have some corals attached. Its very simple and effective as I could experience and is used when you have to very precisely aim the action and avoid damaging anything else or disturb the water parameters, and KathyC already gave you part of the treatment, which is, selecting one rock at the time, take it out and put it in a bucket filled with your tank water but instead of using Kalkwasser solution, in this case you will use an old knife and fire....

1st - Select one rock with corals attached, and only one!
2nd - Select a container which you know will provide enough room for both you to operate, meaning grab the rock, pull it out and place it back without damaging any corals.
3rd - Choose and cheap old steel butter knife or meat knife, depending on the precision you have to use (maybe both and the reason for it to be old is because you could damage it in the process)
4th - Light a fire or simply use a a cigarette lighter (and don?t burn your fingers in the process:irked::Blurp:)
5th - Light the the cigarette lighter and place the blade of the knife on top od the blue flame, as this is hotter than the yellow part of the flame (30 seconds to a minute should be enough)
6th - Once the heating time has elapsed, turn off the lighter (watch where you put it down as it will be very hot) and pick up the rock and position the hot, or red hot blade on top of the Aiptasia for some 5 seconds, after which you put back the rock in the bucket. Repeat the operation for every Aiptasia and try not to exceed 30 minutes in this operation.
7th - Pick up the rock form the bucket and clean with tank salt water the places where you melted down the Aiptasia.
8th - After cleaning as per 7th, put the rock back in the tank.

proceed like this progressively, rock by rock, until you are satisfied with the result. You will be preserving the biological life and capacity of the rock, and you will also eradicate the :DarthVadeiptasia

I've done this procedure some times when needed and it is effectively terminal.
Please keep us updated

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
meagheavz said:
where can i get a Berghia Sea Slug Nudibranch

Please check with the vendors, as they might have some in stock. These slugs can be bred, please see bellow article that Anthony Calfo gave us for translation and publication

Aquarium Culture of the Aeolid Nudibranch Berghia Predator on the Nuisance Anemone Aiptasia

perhaps some MR member might have some.
Please remember that for the largest :DarthVadeiptasia anemones they might not do the job.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: