wonderballz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Myself. I am Ritchie Cunningham and this is my wife, Oprah...

Anyways, My name is Paolo and I am getting back into the hobby after a 6 year hiatus. I had a 10G nano with LR, 2 emerald crabs, 2 pep shrimp, and a serpent star. Had to give it up because i was rarely home to take the time for the tank.

Well, 6 years later, I am starting to get all the supplies together. In order to keep cost as low as possible, I am gonna go the "used route," and buy most of the gear from forum members. I figure it lets me meet people who are much more knowledgeable than I, and it supports the forum.

So here's what I have now.

40G Breeder RR
10G Sump with 3 chambers and all plumbing associated
stand and hood (although I am gonna build my own stand using some of the plans off the internet, and just strip the hood and add some decorative molding to it)

I still have quite a way to go before I have this tank up and running.
On my list is:

RODI system
Vortech MP20 x 1
Mag7 Return pump
Lights
Skimmer

I figure between the return pump and the MP20, I can get enough flow for the tank.

I am not sure with direction to with lights though. I would like to keep my bioload low, but if I remember correctly, once I start to add stuff, the hunger begins. Maybe a few corals, and cleaning crew, few fish. Maybe a hearty anemone.

Still got some reading to do, but i figure I would need to do MH.
Would a 175W pendant suffice? Maybe another fixture with actinics?

In terms of the skimmer, I am just looking to go used/inexpensive. Any brands that I should keep my eye out for?

Looks like I will be posting more often as I start to amass my gear.

James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I don't think 1 pendant will spread the light enough. I would go the T5 route. There are always quality used skimmers for sale. A used AquaC with a mag3 should be in the $100-$150 area. They are always available.

wonderballz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Thanks James.
I meant to say T5. I was checking out the few AquaC's for sale in the FS/FT area. They look like strong possibilities.

BTW. When i bought the tank, it came with sand, but i am not going to set the tank up until i have all my gear set up. The sand is in a bucket. Will I be able to use the sand, or should I be worried that it will be sitting too long?

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
i would get a bigger sump.if you have a stand a 30 gallon would fit .i have a 50 breeder,same dimensions just a higher tank.10 gallon u will be limited to what you can put down there.plus it will give you more water volume.i also have t5s on my tank and am vry happy with them.i have a clam and had some sps till cyano took over.had nice growth for awhile.dont go cheap on a skimmer either.i think its 1 of the most important piece of equipment u will have.and take your time

wonderballz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Yah, i am thinking of building a 20G sump instead. Trying to find a free'ish 20G long to make one. I wanna go big with a skimmer, but just can't justify it at the moment, so I will have to make due in the meantime.

I am prob gonna build my stand in the next few weeks, but I am still in the process of pricing out materials. Once I have all my measurements, then i can figure out what size the sump will be.

James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
BTW. When i bought the tank, it came with sand, but i am not going to set the tank up until i have all my gear set up. The sand is in a bucket. Will I be able to use the sand, or should I be worried that it will be sitting too long?[/QUOTE]
I guess if you wash the sand you could reuse it. Let it dry out good and it should be fine.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: