B

Brianjohnson07

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Hi everyone! I saw your comments its very well and informative you done by a great job. But you need share some more information to this site for viewers.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
A buddy of mine filled his 540 with Catalina water.

Pictures
Your friend must be a millionaire. That's the only drawback I see of using that water it's friggin EXPENSIVE. I honestly don't see the point other than an emergency or just not wanting to deal with the rodi. I have no patience for rodi.I used tap water when I was in queens. I'm using brita water now that I'm in Glen Cove which has really crappy water and my corals are doing well my wellsos blow up to the size of soft balls,my zoos are all open anything that ends w/ phyllia looks great,scolys everything no complaints here. Think about it..the water in the ocean comes from the sky and goes through no filtration and everything lives just fine. The water we get in our tap is from the sky and gets filtered in my brain it sounds like it's BETTER than what's in the ocean not to mention pollution from boat fuel,toxic waste dumping,oil spills etc etc.. RODI strips water of everything all the nutrients, supplements, elements whatever you want to call them then we add artificial salt mix to is and add it to our tanks..it's kinda dumb. A little off topic but something to think about.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Catalina's water is used by aquariums and private institutions, trust me its better then your tap water.

Universities use it in lab situations.

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The best water for your tank here in NY is off the ocean beaches of Long Island. I am actually going out to the Hamptons today.
I take it right off the surf, no need to have a boat or go half way to France. An hour ago the water a mile out was on the beach. The stuff is great and much better than fake water. I just filter out the small jellyfish and debris through a coffee filter. Then I wait until the temp is the same as my tank and check the salinity. Usually it is a little low and I have to add a little salt. Then I dump it in and watch the smiles on my fish.
The only times I bleach it is when I take it from not so good places like a Bay and it has a red tide, then I may add bleach. but the ocean beaches are fine. probably cleaner than a tropical reef this time of the year and real sea water has every mineral on earth disolved in it along with the vitamins and other substances manufactured by algae. ASW or fake water has maybe 70 chemicals which are not in the same proportions of NSW. All of your animals came from NSW and none of them came from ASW, so it is a no brainer.
My fish have not had ich in 30 years so I don't think that is a problem and I don't quarantine.
I also add mud, amphipods, seaweed, rocks and anything else I find interesting. I like the natural approach and feel that the majority of home tanks are too sterile.
Now this is water.

Montauk007.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: