bovsbaitboxes

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
settin up a 36 bowfront reef tank want to know if I can keep these species all in the same tank I will be adding little by little and what size light do you guys think I should get thanks John
live sand and live rock of course
frogspawn
brain coral elegance coral (what does it mean when says aggresive)
galaxy coral
organ pipe coral
plate coral
torch coral
chili coral
mushrooms
purple sea plum
scallop
starfish
zoanthids
polyps
aneome
clam
featherduster
shrimp,hermit crabs,horseshoe crab
and then these fish
wrasse,blenny,basslet,clownfish,anthias,dottyback,cardinalfish,dartfish and a goby
what do you think any advice welcome thanks John

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
personally i would sit back and think how you how the tank in the end, seems you thought it out to a degree, do you have a skimmer ? is the tank reef ready ? any power heads ? reactors ect ? personally from experiance i would concentrate on buying good equiptment first. if you plan to have a anenome your going to need a minimum of t5's would suggest mh's how wide is the tank ? one thing i usually recommend for people to do is skim through the tank section and look at others systems this way you can get an idea of what the majority of others are doing and using

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Most of them are good together. Just be careful about Anthias they are finicky eaters and you must feed them multiple times a day.

For 36 Gallons that's a hefty amount of fish. I have 10 in my tank and I am "overstocked." I think the rest is fine though.

For the Anemone and Clam I agree with NYReefNoob, get a T5 or a Smaller sized Metal Halide they have high lighting requirements.

bovsbaitboxes

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
narrowed my list
hows this thanks again John
live sand and live rock of course
frogspawn
brain coral
galaxy coral
organ pipe coral

chili coral
mushrooms
scallop (flame scallop why are these no good)
starfish
zoanthids
polyps
aneome
clam
featherduster
shrimp,hermit crabs,snails
and then these fish
wrasse,blenny,basslet,clownfish,cardinalfish, and a goby
I have a protien skimmer and I am going to make a wet dry (tank is not reef ready)I have powerheads what else do I need. I am a breeder of african rift cichlids so I know something about tanks thanks for the help
what do you think any advice welcome thanks John

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
john...like others say...
i would concentrate on the equipment and getting the tank setup running properly and efficiently before adding the livestock.....slot it down...you'll go to some frag swaps and find great deals on corals and fish...plus the for sale section will provide alot of what your looking for...
but first thing is to research and figure out how you want the tank to be setup...
plumb evrything together...then fine tune it...because most of the time it wont be excatly as you would expect it to come out...and then theres the cycling...
doing research and learning is half the fun...
now lets get that tank drilled and figure out how you gonna do your sump...:birthday:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
The Chili coral is tough to keep since it has special needs IMO. Also the Scallop is best left on the reef.

As far as the light, yu get what you pay for and many people report elevtrical items from a certain company mentioned in a link in this thread provided by the original poster, have been known to catch fire which is a bad thing IMPO.

bovsbaitboxes

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
well where could I get a better similar light or is that to many watts? should I go lower on the wattage? I am gonna start setting up after holidays no rush I am just looking at things I may want to put in it and like everyone says get good equipment so I dont have problems later (does anyone know anyone around by me that drills tanks) Thanks again for all the help John

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
make sure your tank isn't tempered on the sides.. i have a 46g bow and called the manufacture before I drilled mine luckily and they told me my model was all tempered.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
bov those lights as mentions atleast on older models have caused fires, seen the newer model which is suppose to be safe, but the 250w is more like 150w and the bulb is crap, sure there's a few lights f\s on here, i use to be a cichlad tank person also. this is a little different though. and around you could be anywhere in nj since thats all that is stated. sure there is, there also is a nj site which depending your location might make finding certain things easier, what model and brand of skimmer do you have ? and what powerheads ?

bovsbaitboxes

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
ok I am in neptune NJ. I have a skimmer someone gave me but I am going to get a new one what kind should I get? I have some aquaclear 30 powerheads I was thinking of using thanks John

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I would stay away from the first light. I've heard horror stories about cheap light fixtures almost burning down people's places.. I use a current outer orbit and I like it. Its the one with a MH. Runs a little loud with the fans on but i'm never home when they are on for the most part

As for the light.. it depends on what you want to keep in your tank.. but I think that is a good starter light.

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
tips

honestly..i learned a lot by reading up on things..i went from a 20g to a 36bow to my now 72bow..i learned the hard way and tried to rush things and also take the cheap route..stay away from cheap items..if its too good to be true it probably is..its ok to buy used equipment from members here because they usually are good products and are cheap because they are used..when it comes to lighting..get the metal halides..the current sunpod is what i use and is great!! but i think the lights in your thread are PCs and some things you listed will not survive..you can buy cheap well made sumps from members on this site..as well as overflow boxes..im in nj as well and am helping my friend set up his 36 (my old 36) you guys should shop together!! hahaha..so my advice is.....dont skimp out on equipment..get recommended brands that are well known. Pay now for the good stuff rather than having to pay more to upgrade in the future..good luck and welcome to MR!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: