Davidl919

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
For about a month now I have kept a Clam inside my Nano. In this Nano there about 6 or more bristleworms ranging from 1 to 6 inches (I placed the clam in there because I knew it had aptasia).
So why write this up, Just to give my opinion about Bristleworms. They get a bad wrap because they are usually the first and the last at a scene of Death and in my case it has never been because they kill, but only because they are opportunistic feeders (scavengers). I have however seen Aggresive Nassirus Snails that will attack a Sick Fish but even a sick fish is left alone by a bristle. JMO.

Attachments

• DSC_0291.jpg
    DSC_0291.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC_0322.jpg
    DSC_0322.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 215

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
i must say david i agree with you, i am happy i have them in my tank, they can clean the sand and eat unleft over food i dont mind them at all. Just have to wear gloves when in the tank cause of them but other then that they are fine and a good source of food for my 6line who is insane with eating them

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
There was a speaker at the swap that was very knowledgeable on worms,crustacean pods etc.It's very important to know exactly what you have in your tank because there are look alikes that can harm your animals.

Last edited:

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Dre, while there are definitely look alikes that can harm your animals, most "bristleworms," or fireworms are actually great detritus eaters, and will not be interested in any living animals as food. They are great to have in your system, as they are a critical link in the natural chain of detritus break-down.

On the other hand, (or possibly on the same hand), these worms do not eat aptasia. I'm not sure whether or not you thought they would based on the way you wrote your post, but just in case... they don't.

...if only they did!....

Thanks for speaking out in favor of these worms!

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Dre, while there are definitely look alikes that can harm your animals, most "bristleworms," or fireworms are actually great detritus eaters, and will not be interested in any living animals as food. They are great to have in your system, as they are a critical link in the natural chain of detritus break-down.

On the other hand, (or possibly on the same hand), these worms do not eat aptasia. I'm not sure whether or not you thought they would based on the way you wrote your post, but just in case... they don't.

...if only they did!....

Thanks for speaking out in favor of these worms!
(Daisy) I know most do the clean up, i was just passing on some information from the swap.I hope i didn't confuse anyone.I acctualy feed the worms and copods in my refuge once in a while.

Last edited:

Davidl919

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Hello all and yes Daisy I should have explained that He was put in the Nano because he has aptasia and I don't want it in my main tank but not that I would think the Bristles would eat the aptasia. I occasionally drop mysis and prawn in there for them.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Most animals are opportunistic feeders. Even herbivores will snack on a corpse if it's available, it's just an easy meal. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people trying to kill or remove the bristleworms they see in their tank. The only time I consider bristleworms bad is when people tell me their sand is riddled with them. I could be wrong but as I understand it, populations of animals in the wild are in balance with their needs. If there is an abundance of food and lack of predators, species flourish. When the opposite is true, numbers will diminish. If your tank has an insane amount of bristleworms than there must be an abundance of detritus as well to support them. I also, think that the bad wrap comes from their proximity to death in our tanks. More often than not we are the second on scene and it's hard to think the guy standing over the body had nothing to do with it.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
So why write this up, Just to give my opinion about Bristleworms. They get a bad wrap because they are usually the first and the last at a scene of Death and in my case it has never been because they kill, but only because they are opportunistic feeders (scavengers). I have however seen Aggresive Nassarius snails that will attack a sick fish but even a sick fish is left alone by a bristle..

+1 I have fed fish that are on their way out to nassarius snails and 1 hour later nothing but bones..

Davidl919

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
That cant be true, can it?

I'm confused why DAVIDL919 has a nano with nothing but a clam, rocks, and maybe a mushroom.

David, care to explain?

What LFSmarineguy was probably saying (correct me if i am wrong) is that reef herbivores (fish, urchins, and snails) whose diet is considered to be only plant, algea, and certain bacteria will occasionally nip on a carcus.

Why do I keep a Nano with live rock, Pods, Montipora Caps, and a clam... Not trying to sound rude. 1. I feel like it looks nice in the dining area. 2. The Monti and the clams came from a tank that was infested with Majano and aptasia. 3 Qt, hospital, or holding tank for anything before it goes back in my tank.

bizarrecorals

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont touch them, some people are highly allergic to them, "some" worms can make your hand swell big, if you must remove them, DO NOT USE YOUR HANDS!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: