AlucardXP

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I have some quick questions about my GBTA. Ive had this guy for almost a year now. When I first got it, I put him on a rock in a small hole. It took a little while untill it came to and sat around with its bubble tips. About 6 month in, my pair of clowns finally hosted and the anemone got huge and its tenticles straightened out! One day I took my korlia out to clean it and when I put it back in, I didnt have it in the same spot...I think that upset the anemone so it moved from the hole in the rock it was orignally in and moved out of it. Since then its been alot smaller and its tenticles are very short now. Its been like that for about 2 months now. Today I cleaned my power head again and moved it so it would have some flow but its been on the move again all day. Havent seen it go anywhere in a while lol.

My question is, what would be the perfect way to get it to come back to how it was?

Also, my LFS has a bunch of baby RBTA's and was thinking about picking one up but wasnt sure if there would be any issues and dunno if I decided to remove the GBTA, if the clowns would goto the rose instead.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Stop moving the anemone. I'm not being rude. These animals have the ability to move for a reason. Do u feed it?
It's not happy with something in ur tank. Give us a description of ur tank

bethzb

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone does have a way to keep them still I'd love to hear it. My two travel often and take out pretty much anything in their way. Makes it difficult to keep everything happy when each anenome moves into a spot, hangs out for around a month stinging everything near it, then moves again. I keep threatening my husband (they're his) with removal if they don't settle down and stay.

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
bethzb said:
If anyone does have a way to keep them still I'd love to hear it. My two travel often and take out pretty much anything in their way. Makes it difficult to keep everything happy when each anenome moves into a spot, hangs out for around a month stinging everything near it, then moves again. I keep threatening my husband (they're his) with removal if they don't settle down and stay.

It's hard bc they move when there unhappy ,, so maybe u should let them and the place everything around then ,, I have all my anemones on one side Nd corals on the other

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
leave the anenome alone It will settle were it's comfy and if you want it to puff up again you have feed it on a normal basic I've had few and they can easy to care for when they are happy and they can be a pita when they are not when it settle again try not change the flow in the tank that one the main reason urs move

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0

Really the only way is to provide them with good quality light and water. They will stay still when they're happy.

To the original poster, I agree with the above.. keep excellent water quality, high lighting, low-medium flow, and watch the 'nem closely. A few years back I had a 'nem that moved from where he was, got sucked into a powerhead, and turned the entire tank milky white. Not a good day.

AlucardXP

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the first person who responded, I havent touched it. Never have and dont even wanna unless I absolutely have to since my clowns are kinda territorial over it lol.

From what I get from reading a little, thier happiest with flow right over them (i think its on the move this time cause it had too much flow right on it), and good water conditions. It also doesnt like sudden changes.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
You said you moved it out of the hole in the rock.

Flow is very important to an anemone. Clean Water and Good lighting is a must with any creature in your tank.

When you moved the anemone from the rock you may have damaged the muscles or tissue inside the anemone. They are very fragile and i dont suggest moving an anemone unless nessacary.

They move on their own.

Also flow for anemones depends on species of anemone.
Magnificas love strong wave like flow
Gigantea carpet anemones like heavey flow as well.
Haddons carpets dont like flow at all.
Bubble tips like medium flow but not direct
Mertens carpets like strong flow but the kind a wave maker replicates.

Any anemone that lives in the sand is not a big fan of heavy flow.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: