NYReefer

GOT FRAGS??
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hey everyone happy new year!! Ive been looking to replace the bulb for my 250watt hqi, the current one is 20k and has about 14 months of use on it. I think it is too blue and would like to switch to something like 12 or 14k to get more of a natural look from the corals.. Could this have a negative affect on the corals? I would think not because it would be like buying frags from someone with different lighting but i would imagine there would be some precautions i should take, especially with the "burning in" phase.. this will be the first time changing bulbs as ive only had the tank about 10 months so any help would be much appreciated.. so would suggestions on temp and the best bulb for the buck. here are some shots of my additions from the swap..

DSC01228-1.jpg

eating mysis
DSC01201-1.jpg

DSC01148.jpg

with flash
DSC01206.jpg

without (notice the blueness)
DSC01205.jpg

another example with flash
DSC01188.jpg

without flash
DSC01189.jpg

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
when switching to a brighter bulb, i drop the photoperiod down to 3-4 hours and slowly increase it back up over the course of several weeks.

NYReefer

GOT FRAGS??
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
thanks for the info, i am leaning towards 12k i dont have actinics but will be adding them in teh future when i upgrade to my 75 in the spring.. other than shortening the photoperiod should i move the lights up a few inches or i could leave them?

ZANYMASTER

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
410   0   0
Agreed,Tobin told me his Reeflux 10k bulbs made his tank look pink and others as well while it's a crisp white on my tank.I can only use the Ballast it came with anyway which is the Aquatinics.I'm happy with it.

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Ushio 14K if you want a whiter looking lamp with good growth. You should also note that the ballast you use has a big influence on the appearance of all these lamps and not all in the same way---- fun isn't it:)

I agree, I like the way the Ushio 14K looks on Randy's tank.. Much cleaner look, however, if you are looking for the "blue" the Phoenix on any ballast appears to be much more blue.
There is also the new Aquamaxx 14K, another very nice..

Last edited by a moderator:

NYReefer

GOT FRAGS??
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks for the help guys.. ive been looking through the articles in the lighting guide trying to make sense of it all :smash: i do like some blue so i think ill go with the phoenix 14k and i know the ballast the light came with is electronic.. as far as changing is concerned is there any precautions i should take or just change the bulb and go on as usual??

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: