Jimm0425

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had my tank now for three months after I relocated from a friends. Coraline algea is pretty well established on the LR but sof far nothing has built up on teh OF box or areas of glass that I dont clean. I haven't even scraped the glass. I have a 180 g 120lbs LR with PC lighting, pH 8.3 alk 10dkh, cal 480, mag 1400, nitrates 15, I test primarily with salifert or elos kits. The overflow is this annoying blue color that I wish would disappear. Any suggestions?

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
Be patient ... the tank is still new ... just because the Coralline is established in the rocks ... doesn't mean it will instantly transfer to the glass. 3 months is really nothing in the grand scheme of things. :)

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
nitrates should also be 0. the lower nitrates the more established it can get. just because the tank is doing ok does not mean its established completely. pull up a chair and hang out. its going to take awhile. my tank has been running for about 2 years and the coraline algae just started on the powerheads and other parts.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
hey i say give it another 6 momths my tank has been up for 10 months and just a month ago i noticed that my powerheads and some spots here and there on the glass have the purple coraline meanwhile my liverock has been purple for almost 7 months

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
nitrates should also be 0. the lower nitrates the more established it can get. just because the tank is doing ok does not mean its established completely. pull up a chair and hang out. its going to take awhile. my tank has been running for about 2 years and the coraline algae just started on the powerheads and other parts.
Nitrates or been established for a long time has nothing to do with coraline algae growth.Coraline algae can show up in a newly set up tank in a matter of day if the conditions are right.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
im just saying from my opinion my tank for a long time always had some nitrates in it. i finally after a year or so got rid of it. the next month i randomly saw it on my power heads. might not be manditory, but sure did help.

Jimm0425

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on that patience issue. I have had some frags, yellow polyps,zoas and lavender mushrooms since late december and they have yet to jump off the plugs and multiply. I'm jealous when I see all these tank build threads and it seems that things are growing at a much faster pace. I know...patience

Jimm0425

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew there was something else I had to do. Seachem reef builder for alk and seachem reef advantaage to start then tried kent purple tech. Calcium has been staying up in high 400's so I haven't added much in a few weeks. Water changes have been weekly and the cal has been staying up. ALk is adjusted once or twice a week

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
You never answered my question :confused: You will get different results from the brand you use.
For example B-Ionic 2 part give me this.

Seachem on the other hand give me a leafy purple algae that grow on the rocks and in the over flow box.

p2260350.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: