tenMann2

y is it floating?
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
My tank has been setup since Aug of this year. 72gal bow. with 100lb of live rock I bought from an established tank. My coralline algae had been growing consistently on my rocks and back wall/overflow for the past few months. Well, here is a problem I am noticing for the past two weeks. Now it seems that my coralline on my rocks is receding and the wall still growing.
I had a cyano bacteria outbreak a month ago that is gone without any medication, just time and an addition to a skimmer. When the coralline algae was taking off and spreading I had no skimmer/gfo running, since then I have added a skimmer and gfo (both 2months ago) and have nitrate and phosphate pads in my sump.
What can possibly be causing this? I uploaded a picture below.

tank parameters: (api test kit)
Temp 82-84
Salt 1.024
PH 7.8-8.2
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 (down from 20 a month ago)
Phosphate 0.5 (down from 1.0 a month ago)
Calcium 440 (500 a month ago)
Alk 10dkH
Mg ? (don't have a test kit for it)

img00072l.jpg

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Don't think thats algae, looks more like red coraline, they do come in diff colors. Also snails have a tendency to munch away at coraline as the bottom circle shows.

look for google images on sponges to be more certain.

tenMann2

y is it floating?
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Don't think thats algae, looks more like red coraline, they do come in diff colors. Also snails have a tendency to munch away at coraline as the bottom circle shows.

look for google images on sponges to be more certain.
I've heard of crabs munching on it and in a sense a good thing to spread it through out the tank, but as far as coralline loss, are the snails consuming it rather than other algae? might I have to many snails?

the green yellow stuff looks like sponge
it looks greenish (actinic lighting) in the picture but it is really yellow. I have orange sponge on a another rock and its soft, but this isn't. so does that still make the yellow sponge or not?

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Cyano can be from over feeding and High Po4 as well.
Your missing my point. And I am not sure why I bother but I will try to explain.
He wants help, not a list of all the possible causes. Over feeding and High Po4 wil not cause coraline to decline. And yes it is possible that the two problems are not connected. But when you have two problems that can be caused by the same issue that is a good starting point.

knugenx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
308   0   0
I believe those are different colors of coraline...majority will have purple...in this case you have deep red and green (see if it's puffy i could be a sponge). You have probably what I have...at first I thought the deep red was cyno, but did some search and found it to not be but a type of coraline (my sps and zoas) encrusts/grows right over them. The colors varies The color of coralline algae will be dependant on the intensity and spectrum of the lighting you have over your tank.

In any case you dislike it, you can always scrap it off.

Last edited:

knugenx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
308   0   0
As for the coraline loss, it could be the unstability of your parameters...if you have a recent bloom of green algae, it would block the coraline from receiving its nutrients, once green algae is gone, coraline will come back...sorry, i tried to be as simple as possible with out going it to the chemistry. This is only my thinking from experience and research...others please feel free to add or critique.

tenMann2

y is it floating?
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Cyano appearing is sometimes a clue that your bulbs need replacing. Coraline receding can be a clue that your bulbs need replacing.
bulbs aren't an issue, new fixture.meaning new bulbs.

Cyano can be from over feeding and High Po4 as well.
my concern wasn't about my phosphates. I getting that under control along with nitrates, slowly but surely.

I also had the Cyano breakout but fixed it with a water change and using Rowaphos.I too am having that same issue with coralline not growing on my walls.
Boralline is growing like crazy on the walls and overflow box, be receding on the rocks. I decided to scrap the top 1/4 of the back wall. and slowly work my way down the wall. Hopefully it will help accelerate the growth on the rock rather than the wall.

tenMann2

y is it floating?
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I believe those are different colors of coraline...majority will have purple...in this case you have deep red and green (see if it's puffy i could be a sponge). You have probably what I have...at first I thought the deep red was cyno, but did some search and found it to not be but a type of coraline ....
it is real deep red. feels a bit slick. the yellow might be a form of sponge, I've been looking at pictures of those that have it.

As for the coraline loss, it could be the unstability of your parameters...if you have a recent bloom of green algae, it would block the coraline from receiving its nutrients, once green algae is gone, coraline will come back...sorry, i tried to be as simple as possible with out going it to the chemistry. This is only my thinking from experience and research...others please feel free to add or critique.
My parameters are fairly consistent as far as temp/salinity/ph. Nitrate and phosphate have been coming down. cal and alk are consistent as well, never dropped below 400 or 9dkh. No more than the normal green film on the glass than normal. and I don't have hair algae.

gatojebv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
From my experience. My coralline is abundant in the back wall of my tank and under shady places but not where the rock is more exposed to light. I think your light could be a little too strong as well. I am planning to switch to a more bluish T5's myself. My params are stable and my SPS are thriving.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: