bjoiner

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an aquarium set up for a while, but had to dismantle it due to a lack of stable electrical circuits in the house I was renting. Long story short, I'm moving to a new place that can handle the tank so I would like to set it up and get it cycling again. In the mean time, I ended up letting the live rock completely dry out for a couple of months, figuring I would have to replace it.

Is this true and I'll just have to replace it, or is there anyway to revive dead-live rock (by adding a couple of more pieces of good Live rock maybe?)

BJ

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep (to adding some fresh rock with it), only thing is the old rock may need to cycle because of the dead stuff left on it. The new rock should be given about 3 months, i think, to reach full biological capacity, so go slow with the live stock.

yacn

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will. I had done the same thing...only my rock was dried out for 10 years. I'll be damned if I was gonna sell the rock back to the LFS for $1 a pound for the rock I paid $6 a pound. I recently bought a 40 salt water tank with about 25 pounds of live rock in it from someone at work. I placed my 25 pounds of dried out, dead rock in the tank and changed the water about once a month. Within 2 months the dead rock had coraline algae growing all over it. It's now in my 150 gallon reef tank...along with 100 more pounds of live rock I picked up 4 weeks ago.

Nick

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can. My current tank is about 80% dead rock and 20% new live rock.

bjoiner

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!

I'm no no real hurry, but would like to get it cycling so the smell will come and go soon.

This thing is going to be a pain to move, but worth it once it's back up and running :-D

BJ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: