Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of converting a 75 gallon fresh water fish tank into a salt water reef. Can I do it successfully without a sump. The tank is not reef ready so there is no over flow.
I am open to all opinions.

Thanks,
Alan

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Either drill the tank or get a overflow ,, a sump is pretty much mandatory ,, better filtration and a refugium also ,, I'm sure others will chime in .

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

tttony

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Ive been running my reef over a year, no sump , skimmer is rated at double tank size. 3 small fish and feed every other day. Very good growth, only 1 small power head. Its really an amazing lps tank with 3 sps and a clam. A sump is nice because you can hide all the stuff behind your tank down under and keep it against the wall.A sump is a place where you can buy all sorts of things that are made and marketed by very smart people .

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I started out with a Eheim canister on my 120 but it was a PIA keeping up with the maintenance on it because it quickly turned into a nitrate factory and kept my nitrates high. I switched over to a sump/fuge and found it is much easier to maintain and my nitrates are now undetectable, it also a great place to put your equipment, skimmers, heaters, probes, setup ATO etc.. etc. Just my .02.

wayne

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ive been running my reef over a year, no sump , skimmer is rated at double tank size. 3 small fish and feed every other day. Very good growth, only 1 small power head. Its really an amazing lps tank with 3 sps and a clam. A sump is nice because you can hide all the stuff behind your tank down under and keep it against the wall.A sump is a place where you can buy all sorts of things that are made and marketed by very smart people .

What's the size of your tank ?????

tttony

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Ive got 3 , 220 fresh with a sump, 120 salt water fish only with a sump. my reef is a 26 bow no sump its packed and doing well soon to upgrade to a 72 bow drilled and gonna have a sump. My point was that if you dont over feed your tank, pick your live stock carefully and dont demand tremedous growth with all the tech stuff YOU CAN HAVE A NICE REEF WITHOUT A SUMP.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: