corkscrewnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.2%
35   1   0
Just bought a 72bow and am unsure of what size sump to get as well as protein skimmer and return pump? Need some advice all!!
...p.s.... if anyone has one of the above laying around or looking to get rid of please pm. Thanks !!

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I have a 72 bow and the dimmensions of my sump are 30"L 12"W 16"H which is roughly a 25 to 30 gallon tank. I am contemplating downgrading to a 20 gallon tall becuase it will afford me enough space to place a 5 gallon bucket under the tank and use it as a topoff. Keep in mind you may have to cut the back brace off the stand if it is a All-Glass made pine stand.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I just bought a 20 long to make a sump to fit under a 72 bow. and will be using a aqua EV 180 skimmer.
i just got home from depot picking up acrylic for baffles.
i hope i dont have to cut back brace.
if so do i neeed to replace it

This is my first sump/sump build

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I have a 20 long as a sump on my 72 bow with an ASM G3 skimmer. I didn't cut the back brace. You have to put the sump in before you fill the tank with water. I wouldn't cut the back brace if you don't have to. I also use a Mag7 as a return pump. A 20 long as a sump with an in-sump skimmer and a submersable pump as a return will leave you some room to work with. I had 4 phosban reactors hanging off my sump (two on each end) and still had a little room to store nets, glass scrapers, airline tubing for acclimation and a water change pump including the tubing. I also installed a light in the stand so I can clean the skimmer waste collector at night.

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
The previous owner of my stand had cut the back brace. Frankly, I like it because if my sump is leaking and I need to get it out I can. I think its silly to have a sump where the only way you can remove it is to empty your display. That's just a huge waste of time and planning. As for a 20G L maybe you don't have to cut. I don't know. My sump is actually a tank that is almost 21 years old, all I know is that its 30" long and the back brace stops the insertion of the tank.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Frankly, I prefer a double sump like my shark tank. I have two 20 gallon acrylic sumps that are connected by 2" PVC union. All I have to do is unscrew the union and remove one sump at a time. Maybe you can do something similar with two 10 gallon tanks and you wouldn't have to cut the brace at all to remove the sumps for maintenance.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: