knugenx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
308   0   0
I have a buddy that is looking to sell his 180G tank that was home to FW shark and parrot...yes,lol. I'm interested in the tank, and I know he has treated his fish using Coppersafe something on a few occassions.

My question is can this tank be converted to a SW Reef tank? I got the"Ok" from my wife to upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Not if you want to keep delicate inverts!:( That is the same stuff I treated my fowlr with 2 years ago, and only 1 dose.
Since then, did numerous 50% w/c, ran cuprisorb, poly pads, carbon, and 2 years later when I put my Harlequin shrimp in it the harley died within minutes. Leathers, anemone, hermits, snails are all doing fine though.:( Just my .02....

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Some people think that a tank once dosed with copper will leech copper forever and can never be used for a reef tank. Some people think that eventually the copper will be exhausted and you could eventually use it for a reef tank.

If you want to be sure you are safe, get a new tank. If you are set on using this tank, I would fill it with salt water, put in a powerhead, and let it sit for a few days. Then, I would buy a good copper test kit to test the water. If the tank is leaching copper, then it should register and then a reef tank is a no-no. You could have a FOWLR in a tank that has been treated with copper with no problem.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
K, we'll talk when you come over today! You've seen my so call fowlr.;)
As already stated above I used tons of CUPRISORB,CARBON, WATER CHANGES, TIME, AND HAVE TESTED WITH EXCELLENT TEST KITS WHICH SHOWED NO trace of copper, and yet very delicate inverts die in said tank.:(
It is chancy at best to use a tank which was once treated with copper for a reef. That is a decision that only you can make. It will be your $$$ that will be spent in the tank!!

seahunt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the tank will be fine, there are two types of copper, ionic Cu for saltwater and the chelated Cu people use for freshwater.

Cuprisorb states that it will take out the chelated type.

Also see this within this see Ethylene Diamine Tetra Acetate.

If you're still concerned, I think you would agree that the glass can't adsorb copper, so the only other possible thing to retain it is the silicone, you could take a razor and cut out as much as you can then re-silicone it.

Get the tank.

Rating - 98.6%
73   1   0
K, we'll talk when you come over today! You've seen my so call fowlr.;)
As already stated above I used tons of CUPRISORB,CARBON, WATER CHANGES, TIME, AND HAVE TESTED WITH EXCELLENT TEST KITS WHICH SHOWED NO trace of copper, and yet very delicate inverts die in said tank.:(
It is chancy at best to use a tank which was once treated with copper for a reef. That is a decision that only you can make. It will be your $$$ that will be spent in the tank!!

if you say there was no trace of copper, what makes you sooo sure that it's copper killing your DELICATE inverts? fish, inverts and corals die in peoples tanks all the time...

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
should have no problem, i had just fish in my tank and used copper and now its a full blown reef tank with no problems- a bag of carbon, skimmer and sterilizer should get rid of any that is left if you have any worries. and there would defanitely have been any copper left after 2 years, there must have been something else wrong or you just dont have luck with realy delicate stuff(key words-realy delicate)

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Lost track of this thread!

The shrimp that died in the fowlr had been living in my reef for a little over a year prior to being moved to the fowlr in 1 of those little carrying cases that they sell in the lfs. The reason the shrimp was moved was due to my 1 of my sps getting red bugs, and consequently treating the reef with interceptor.
I bought that little carrier thing, and a chocolate starfish to house the Harley safely in the fowlr while treating my reef. The harley did not live more then 5 min........ That is why I stated the privious.
Test kits are limited in my opinion. They can not detected the slightest traces.:) Which delicate animals may be affected by.

Karman was by me just the other day, and we talked. Not only that, he also saw looked, and evaluated my fowlr w/softies, leathers, and anemonies.:)

I do not share what I have read on the net, books, or got from others. I strictly share what my personal experience has been, and I much rather err on the side of caution especially while spending someone else's money.:)

isgon26

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
420   0   0
I used my tank for fresh water and treated for copper. I know converted to a reef tank with no problems. I have all kinds of SPS, snails, and crabs no problems. Just clean and run carbon and you should be good.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: