Joeballz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What some good beginner corals to start off with? Im new to reef setups so im not sure how difficult corals are to mantain. Just wondering if there are some that are easier to mantain than others? and what do you feed them with?

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
I have a kenya tree to give you if you feel like comming to babylon ny long island. It was given to me when I started off and I would like to pay it foward but the only thing I ask of you is just when it gets real big to cut a pice off and give it it another new person on the reef.

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Once your tank is established you should be able to maintain Green star polyps, button polyps, zoanthids, yellow polyps, mushrooms, leathers, kenya tree, lighting and good water parameters needed. My opinion is candy canes are easy and realitively hearty. Need minimum pc lighting. I have most of these, if you're interested I can frag a bunch for you cheap. I'm in Huntington.

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
"Beginner corals" is such a tough way to phrase this. The fact is if your tank isn't ready with the proper environment even the "easiest" corals to care for will not survive. The direction that you want your tank to go in and the livestock all determine what in fact will be easiest for you to keep. Lighting, flow, calcium Alk,Magnesium Iodine etc levels, all depend on what you want to keep.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
What some good beginner corals to start off with? Im new to reef setups so im not sure how difficult corals are to mantain. Just wondering if there are some that are easier to mantain than others? and what do you feed them with?
If you are new to reefing the first thing you should be thinking about getting is a good BOOK on reefing.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

You need to do more research. Reefkeeping is a very complex hobby, and even the easiest corals to keep will fail if you do something stupid (which may not be immediately apparent to be stupid) like using tapwater instead of RO/DI water.

If you have a decent setup with good lighting and passable skimming, along with a good amount of live rock for biological filtration, most of the corals which are popular in the hobby are 'easy'. The hard part is setting up that environment.

THere're references and booklists and links to other excellent sites on this site; I recommend you spend a great deal of time online and a good amount at the library researching the topic for a few weeks or months.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: