ZBT3091

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How many gph do i need for my sump to my tank. It needs to push about 4' up. The sump is an overflow. Im thinking a mag 7. The return is going to have two heads

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Questions off the top of my head that will help get your answer

What size tank is it? 75 ?

Are you going to have powerheads ?

If so what kind ?

Reef/FOWLR ?

If reef what kind of corals do you plan on housing?

ZBT3091

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have one aqua clear 50. I might get a koralia or two. The return would have two heads coming out. I figured the two headed return and the aqua clear would be sufficient circulation. Its a 75, will be a reef, getting mushrooms, sps, and polyps.

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have heard that magdrives are bad, and that either eheims or oceanrunners are the way to go.I wouldn't know though, I just use the biggest aquaclear I could find =P

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
I Have heard that magdrives are bad, and that either eheims or oceanrunners are the way to go.I wouldn't know though, I just use the biggest aquaclear I could find =P

If you are going to do SPS...go for mag 9...seriously...they require lots of water movement...they really do...plus two koralia 4's and you should be set! :D I like the mags...never had problems with them! :D

-David

nyumpa

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am a fan of the mags had a #3 on the skimmer and #7 on the return, they do run hot get the #9 put a gate valve on to adjust the follow you can always increase it not enough if you get the #7 and find out the flow is not enough you are stuck.
again they run HOT

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Tricky question.

There are a few theories on this. The one constant rule, is that your overflow needs to be able to handle the return pump. This puts an upper limit on your flow.

Some people attempt to obtain all of their in tank flow, or a substantial part of it, from their return pump, i.e. they use the biggest pump their overflow can handle. The positives to this are that it reduces, or negates entirely the need for in tank power heads. The negatives are two fold, one is that with increased flow through your sump you are increasing the likelihood of micro bubbles getting into the main display. The second is that it is inefficient to use a large pump for in tank flow, when a smaller pump with power heads will generally use less wattage than one large pump.

Other's will use the smallest pump they can get away with for their return pump, and use power heads to create in tank flow. Your return pump runs 24 hours a day, and using a smaller pump can help cut down on energy consumption significantly even when using power heads to make up for the difference. Slower flow through the sump also creates less of a chance of carrying micro bubbles to the display tank. Remember though if filtration and heating are taking place in the sump, the turnover needs to suffcient to allow these processes to fucntion. People that I know who use this school of thought generally aim for 3x sump volume turnover.

Most people generally fall between the two, for a host of reasons.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: