Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hello,

I am about to get a hang-on filter for my 12 gallon marineland tank. I was told to get the H.O.T. Magnum filter. I want to get a filter that you just refill the media instead of using a cartridge. I hope to save some money without having to buy the stupid cartridges. What would the best media be to use?

Thanks!

Josh

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
ok i think you answered the question for me anyways. i thought that you needed a cartridge for that filter, I was wrong. So I just buy carbon media and then refill it everytime? Is the HOT Magnum a good choice? it seems that it has a pretty good reputation.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So I just buy carbon media and then refill it everytime?
As far as refilling media, simply buy some filter media bags and a bucket/bottle/large quantity of carbon media.

Anecdotally, I just set up a 2.5g quarantine / pico tank (haven't decided what to do with it yet, beyond some basics) and got a HOB Aquaclear 20 filter to double as filtration and water/surface movement. If I end up using it long term as a pico tank, I think I will put some chemipure elite and filter-floss in the HOB.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

pweissma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
As far as refilling media, simply buy some filter media bags and a bucket/bottle/large quantity of carbon media.

Anecdotally, I just set up a 2.5g quarantine / pico tank (haven't decided what to do with it yet, beyond some basics) and got a HOB Aquaclear 20 filter to double as filtration and water/surface movement. If I end up using it long term as a pico tank, I think I will put some chemipure elite and filter-floss in the HOB.

Hope that helps.

Good choice, aquaclear and chemipure elite. I have an Eheim Liberty 150 on a 7g and I'm looking to switch.

Here's a link to nano-reef showing how to convert an aquaclear to a fuge.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180570&st=40&p=2004830&#entry2004830

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: