Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks Moidol! I'll have to put a strainer on the Iwaki return's intake. Last time I put a star fish in the sump it became fish food when it found it's way into the return portion of my sump.yikes

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Our pair are still working on the CC that we put in before the New Year. There is only one leg left at this point. It wasn't a huge star either. Though both Harleys don't stay with the CC. One will go off and wander, come back, the other wanders. My guess is they are chowing on Asterinas as well at this point. As there doesn't seem to be any shortage. We still plan to put a CC in as one is finished. I am afraid if I wait a day or two before doing it they'll starve.

They're so stinkin' cute!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
My Harley is in the tank and the asterinas are all over the glass.LOL I knock them down and a couple of minutes later they are all back up on the glass.LOL

Attachments

• Harlequin Shrimp and Asterinas 002_800x600.jpg
    Harlequin Shrimp and Asterinas 002_800x600.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Harlequin Shrimp and Asterinas 004_800x600.jpg
    Harlequin Shrimp and Asterinas 004_800x600.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 58
  • asterinas 001_800x600.jpg
    asterinas 001_800x600.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 59
  • asterinas 002_800x600.jpg
    asterinas 002_800x600.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 57

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i have a question. i have a lil pest problem with small starfish (Asterina) in my tank. I want to get rid of him, or atleast bring the #'s down. i want to get a Harlequin Shrimp just to controle them, and after it has lowered the stars enough or all gone, i'll either trade for a cleaner or sell for cheap.

I guess my questions is can how good is a Harlequin to use as pest controle?

maybe i can rent a Harley. lol

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I don't think we can ever wipe out asterinas for ever. One asterina will multiply and keep multiplying.
Why would you want to get rid of the Harley? They are so darn cuteeeeeee.....

ladyhealth

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a pair of Harleys (red and blue). I have no problem sawing away at half a leg every week for each shrimp. Its tough, so my wife does not watch, but my harleys need to eat. I keep the CC star in a breeder cup on the top of my tank and plan on transitioning it and the furture CC stars to my quarantine tank. Alternatively, you can use a scissor to cut the legs off. Hope this helps

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I built a little hang on the side tank for a CC to hang out in and just let him chill there till ITS TIME
may try the leg cutting again, we see
Right now one is being eaten while this guy just watches hahahah

Anyone know how I can get some asternias in my tank?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I built a little hang on the side tank for a CC to hang out in and just let him chill there till ITS TIME
may try the leg cutting again, we see
Right now one is being eaten while this guy just watches hahahah

Anyone know how I can get some asternias in my tank?
Come and go asterina fishin in my reef.lol Not to hard to catch as they are on the front glass.LOL

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: