Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Well, if it is RR, then there are holes drilled somewhere for a sump. So unless you plan to cap those holes, I'd say you need one.

There are a lot of debates about the necessity of a refugium. Some people think that they remove nitrates from your system. Some people think they are detrirus traps. I happen to fall into the latter category. Each person should make their own choice.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
so what equip should i focus on?

(1) Skimmer. You can read the skimmer thread for good information.
(2) Return pump.
(3) Lights - you'll want to choose PC, T5 or MH based on what corals you want to keep.
(4) Powerheads. The amount of flow you want will again depend on the corals you want to keep.
(5) Test kits. You will want Nitrite, Ammonia, pH and Nitrate at the very least to begin.
(6) Phosban reactors. It's always good to start off with GFO and carbon as part of your system.
(7) Live rock and sand. For a 90 gallon tank, you'll probably want a minimum 90lbs of rock.
(8) Refractometer or hydrometer for checking your salinity.
(9) Assorted nets for when you get fish.
(10) If you are going to have corals, you'll want some kind of calcium additive eventually - either 2part or Kalk.
(11) Salt.
(12) Buckets.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: