gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi,
As some of you know about half a year ago I had a tank crash resulting in total loss of life in my tank.
To make a long story short, that tank is replaced by 12G Nanocube (see link in my signature for a whole story). The sand was literally brushed with coarse brush to check for any life before transferring to the 10G Nano-cube. None was discovered. I currently have Kenya Tree coral in there and it loves the tank! I want to have a pair of clowns in it too and maybe an anemone (not sure about the last one).
So the question is how do I "reseed" the "live" sand with hmm life that is close to indo-pacific zone?

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Reseeding as in benificial bactirea. Or Stocking with indo pacific inhabitents ?

michaelp

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Is there any LR in the tank? If so, the sand will gradually get seeded. If you want it to be fish only, I would buy some live sand or get some from another member and just add it to your tank. If tank params are right and you let it sit for a few months, the bacteria and organisms should multiply.

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
More details

Reseeding as in benificial bactirea. Or Stocking with indo pacific inhabitents ?
I don't think bacteria is a huge problem with my tank as parameters seem to be stable. I get by with bi-weekly water chages now.
As you know form my forum the only live inhabitants in my tank are:
Kenya Tree coral
Some hair algae and yellowish slime in the glass...
I plan on adding a pulsing xenia coral and a pair of mated clowns to the tank.
However the "live" sand is no longer live after the crash so all those crawlers in it - that what I'm looking for from Indo-Pacific zone.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
How did you get stuff initially from Indo-Pacific zone. Do it over again. There is all kind of life in any sand in any established tank. I can't see why it would matter from which area the critters come from. Are you
prejudiced?

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I don't think any clown will do good in a 12g more so a pair of clowns.. I've always seen the min is 20g.. a anemone won't do good in there either. You will pretty much max out your bioload .. maybe even exceed it... my 2 cents

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Stuffing 12G Nano Reef advice

I don't think any clown will do good in a 12g more so a pair of clowns.. I've always seen the min is 20g.. a anemone won't do good in there either. You will pretty much max out your bioload .. maybe even exceed it... my 2 cents
OK so what can I put in that tank then?
Currently hosting a Kenya Tree
Xenia coral will be coming soon hopefully.
I want to have bright colors, but not much trouble...

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
How did you get stuff initially from Indo-Pacific zone. Do it over again. There is all kind of life in any sand in any established tank. I can't see why it would matter from which area the critters come from. Are you
prejudiced?
I didn?t. Yes - I'm very predjudicial when it comes to my tanks...
I want to have something from a specific area of the water.
When I got my tank (10 it was) it had stuff from Haiti (pink-tip anemone, aiptasias, some haitian worms); The sand was filled with life: chocolate chip stars, brittle-stars... The fishes were a clown and a blue devil like I called him (blue fish with yellow tail - 1" or about). They were doing all fine until the tank crashed (power outage and canister filter + lack of care on my side - I didn't notice the warning signs early enough).
So now I'm starting over with the 12G Nano-cube and want to do it "right" this time around.
I wasn't planning of getting more than two fishes there anyway, but I want something that has a chance of reproducing.

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
following fish will do well that I know of that have color

royal gramma
firefish
six line wrasse

You could try a tank raised clown since they are known to stay small.. but i don't think an anemone would do good at all

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I had a sixline in a 10 gallon for 2 years with no problems. A Firefish is too skittish to be with a sixline or a gramma and will never make it.

By the way it looks like you did it right the first time. The crash had nothing to do with your methodology so why not repeat it.

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I had a sixline in a 10 gallon for 2 years with no problems. A Firefish is too skittish to be with a sixline or a gramma and will never make it.

By the way it looks like you did it right the first time. The crash had nothing to do with your methodology so why not repeat it.
Because when you see a biocube you say WoW!
When you would have seen my 10 gallon with a filter next to it and all the eqipment hanging in it and on the back of it you would say: wow, that's a lot of stuff!
I prefer WOW.
BTW, I'm looking to swap that 12G for 14 gallons. Just collecting money right now.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: