Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have some questions about building a sump. I have read and now realize the importance of this device. However, when I went to a local fish store the guy strongly suggested that I do not use a 5 gallon glass tank rather buy one complete. Now what do you guys suggest? Should I build one from a new 5 gallon glass tank as planned to house my skimmer, heater, etc? Or should I buy a completed tank. Also, to point out I currently have a 10 gallon nano tank that I have built piece by piece. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. If I do decide to make a sump, can I use a return and drain pipe or do I desperately need a overflow box? Thanks

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
get a bigger tank for the build.a 5 gallon tank u will have limited options down there.i would at least get a 10 gallon.u dont need an overflow box i havent used 1 in either of my tanks.if u need any help on the build shoot me a pm

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow, this site rocks!! I have been trying to build this for about 2weeks now with no luck online search websites or word of mouth, but a post on here did the trick! Well, my plan was to build the sump and use a over flow box but if you guys think just the return/drain pipes will be fine I am definitely cool with that (saves a little cash, lol). Thanks again

Use the 5 gallon tank and make the sump, dont spend you money on a sump already made. waste of money. Is this tank going to be driled or a overflow box is what your going to use. ?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Your post is slightly unclear. It sounds as if your 10g display tank is drilled with a 1" overflow and a 3/4" return. If this is correct, that's exactly what you want to use.

External overflow boxes work fine when you have continuous electricity. The problem normally ocurrs when you experience a power outage. Many times the overflow box loses siphon, the return pump restarts and pumps water into your display tank with nowhere for it to go.....except the floor.

Is it possible for you to fit a 10g sump under your 10g display? That would be a better way to go that a 5g. (if you can)

Russ

dnreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Just remember, if you are using drain tubes to supply the sump, that should you have a problem with the return pump in the sump you will drain the main tank down to the level of tube intake.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I would drill the 10 gal DT w/ a 1" bulkhead and drain into a 10 gal sump.Then use a small return pump to go back to the DT with a goose neck over the top. Sumps are used to "hide" your equip but also used to up your water volume. I'd definately use a 10 gal, at least. Think about addding a small fuge to it as well

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
The design of the sump would depend on what you want to put in it.

Do you know the items you want to house in your sump?

Heater, fuge, DSB, dare you say skimmer?

I know you would get more satisfaction out of building your own sump but make sure you research it well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: