BOBBY BOLIVIA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
hello gents and gals! i'm new here aswell as in the hobby, I just got a 90gal rr tank, and I dont know which lights I need as well as to what size sump I need, my budget is very tight rightnow, I plan to keep mostly live rocks,sand and corals, fish for now a blue hippo, a clown maybe bennies and or damsels and a small cleaning crew. 6 fishes tops!! can someone please steer me in the right direction??

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
IMO if you want primarily SPS then get either 2 250 watt metal halides or an 8 bulb t5ho set-up. If yopu're looking to have a mixed reef with all different types of coral then I'd get a 6 bulb t5ho hood. The hippo tang will eventually get a little cramped in a 90g.

As for the sump... get the biggest one that will fit under the tank that you can afford. Bigger sump = more water, more room for equipment and more room for emergencies.

You can easily make a sump by purchasing a regular fish tank and having your local glass shop cut baffles for you. Then just silicone them in. Be sure to test the tank and silicone you did for leaks prior to doing any plumbing. Trust me it's a lot easier than it looks and you'll save a bundle.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
As for the sump... get the biggest one that will fit under the tank that you can afford. Bigger sump = more water, more room for equipment and more room for emergencies.

You can easily make a sump by purchasing a regular fish tank and having your local glass shop cut baffles for you. Then just silicone them in. Be sure to test the tank and silicone you did for leaks prior to doing any plumbing. Trust me it's a lot easier than it looks and you'll save a bundle.

Ditto...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: