dirtie

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have Had 65 Gallon Tank For About A Yr. Notice Red,brown, And Green Algae. My Nitrites 0, Nitrate 5.0, Amnonia 0, High Range Ph 8.4. Are Tohse Normally Numbers To Have. I Also Have T5 Lights And I Use Tap Water. What Could Be Causing This And How Can I Get Rid Of This Problem? Please Help. Lost So Many Corals And Fish Already, Dont Wanna Loose Anymore.

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
your water parameters are on par but since you use tap water Imma go out on a limb and say its the TDS (total disolved solids) in the water... aka chlorine, heavy metals, copper, etc. You need to invest in an ro/di unit or get some from an LFS, or buy distilled water for the time being, hell even one of those Aqua Pharmecutical Tap Water Filters is better than just normal tap water itself. By using just tap water youre putting a lot of impurities into the tank that are deadly to the delicate aquatic life.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Tap water is a definate problem. Do you think you could test your phosphates for us and give us that number as well?

I would invest in a phosban reactor and an ro/di unit.

Do you run carbon?

What kind of filtration do you use? Where in NY are you located?

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
your water parameters are on par but since you use tap water Imma go out on a limb and say its the TDS (total disolved solids) in the water... aka chlorine, heavy metals, copper, etc. You need to invest in an ro/di unit or get some from an LFS, or buy distilled water for the time being, hell even one of those Aqua Pharmecutical Tap Water Filters is better than just normal tap water itself. By using just tap water youre putting a lot of impurities into the tank that are deadly to the delicate aquatic life.

Dude dont use big words like impurities LOL

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Tap Water, Protein Skimmer, Make shift sump/refugium, and VHO gave me this:
Theold155BowFront1.jpg

RO/DI, same Protein Skimmer, 2 TwoLittleFish Phosban Reactor - One runs phozar, the other runs activitaded carbon, auto top off, aquamedic doser for ESV 2 Part.
1styearanniversary155BF2-25-2008001.jpg

I say get an RO/DI, and at least 1 Phosban Reactor.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
stop using tap water.what other type of equip u use.what type of test kits are u using.do u have a sump.do you have anytype of cleaner crew.read some of the threads with your same problem or use the search engine foe cyano.go to photobucket and resize your photos and show us ur whole setup.the whole thing not just the tank

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: