Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
ok so i have a 125 gallon reef tank with a piece of just skimmer that i have to adjust all day for it to work. it never stays in 1 spot so i could leave it low and the next day the cup is overflowing and thats what happens every single time. i have probably about 200 pounds of live rock and a hang on back refugium full of cheato algae. im willing to get a replace my sump with a big refugium with cheato in it to get rid of the skimmer. also i will put a deep sand bed and i dont know about miracle mud because i keep hearing mixed reviews about it. i change about 10 gallons every sunday. i am also going to start using chemi-pure elite... im witing for it to come in the mail. right now i have 4 small fish but im planning on getting a couple of tangs and a lot more small fish. but really i will do anything to get rid of this skimmer or i guess i will just have to save up to get a really good skimmer but i prefer not to because there just rather get rid of it because they only thing i worry about when i go away is my skimmer and i have no one else that knows anything about fish so im on my own with it and i always come back with it either overflowing or just so low it i can see it right above the output pipe.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
can you tell us a little more information about your tank. Then we can go from there.

What are your water parameters? Please include all

make/model of skimmer?

Are you running your skimmer wet

What color is the skimmate?

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I've been using miracle mud in my ref since I started my tank, but would never give up my skimmer even though the water hardly needs to be skimmed. Skimmers are not only good for removing protiens, but aslo add oxygen to the water.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
its an odyssea p160 in sump skimmer and yes im using a reefkeeper elite with an electronic float switch and it gets pumped slowly like dosing with a tom aquatics dosing pump. i used to have a 780 gph power head for top off but it made too much fluctuation in the chemical levels. the skimmate is like clay looking for some reason and it gets hard like clay too but i think it might be from the sand because thats the only thing i can think of. also my parameters are a little messed up right now ammonia and nitrite are at 0. nitrite is usually always kept at 0 with the water changes. never had a problem with the nitrogen cycle. its just the other stuff. my ph is about 8 my alkalinity is 11 dkh my calcium is 520 ppm and i dont dose. its just from the reef crystals salt and i do use ro/di water. i dont moniter magesium. i know i should but i really dont want to get involved with that. salinity is at 1.025 phosphate is at 0 on the test kit but i know thats wrong because i have a big hair algae problem and i keep picking it off with my hands and i did a 40 gallon water change last week. also i added phosphate remover and i was thinking of getting a phosphate reactor but i heard there to much maintance so i just ordered the chemi pure elite which removes phosphates and silicate so i hope that helps.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
im not sure right now i dont have anything to spend so maybe in a couple of weeks i would be willing to spend like $250-$300 on a reef octopus or i like the aquac ev series skimmers and i know its ozone compatible because i love ozone and i want to use it but i know its kind of complicated so im making sure all my stuff is ozone compatible and i need to get an orp probe .
how much u willin to spend..

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Odyessea are known for not so good of products, I have a Reef Octopus NW150 and it pulls a lot out and I don't have to adjust it. I hear the SWC and bubble magnus are good as well. Although I think the Magnus will be over budget.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: