spacenyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
have 4 tanks. 2 fowlr and two are fish with corals. i have an aquaclear and an eheiem (2215, 2028) on each tank. question is how should i set up the media, right now i have it according to the websites of the makers i.e. foam filters and the eheim substrat in the eheims and in a filter bag in the aquaclear. i am not using any carbon in the filters. i can not use sumps because of size issues. any solutions on how to set them up better. tanks are 75 gallon and 40 gallon

premilove

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can make a mini fuge in the aquaclear..

honestly if i was you i would just get a refugium.. for the 75 get a 29 long and for the 40 gal get a 20 long. remember the bigger the better..put some baffles, get a return pump, get a skimmer trust me it is def worth it! From what i was told, Custom King makes great sumps..

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I would just buy 2 aqua c remora skimmers and hang one on the back of each tank. This is what i do on my 24ap and it looks better and is more stable than my 72 bow w/ 20gal sump and huge skimmer. My friend also uses 2 remoras on his 120 and has no problems. just dont skimp on the water changes.
And dont use the ehiem at all.
Hang on fuge on the 75 might be nice too and like premilove said turn the aqua clear into a fuge

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
+1 on the Sump/Fuge setup.

the AquaClear can be made into a hang on Fuge, but at the end once you get more into the hobby; you'll probably get a sump/refugium.

as for hte Eheim, you can use it to run solely carbon and thats it - best if you can sell it and use the money to buy a return pump/skimmer

spacenyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
thanks for the advice

every one seems to be in agreement. now my next question(which i may post as a new thread): why do these filters work so well on fw and cause such problems for sw and other than a sump are there any filters that work on sw. will definatly spend this weekend trying the mod on my aquaclear

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The canisters should be fine with FOWLR, but once you add coral into the mix and an increased bioload then Po4 and trates cause a problem with coral tanks. Your bioload is multiplied once you start adding corals to the mix. Dietrius and crap from the fish/coral build up and just turn to waste inside the canisters. Its usually why people only run skimmers with a carbon/po4 reactor and do water changes, maybe throwing in a filter sock or two to get suspended matter.

You can set up your tanks only on water changes and carbon in a reactor if you are religiously changing the water weekly in your coral tanks. But like everyone says a sump with a skimmer is your best bet. Or a HOB skimmer and water changes weekly as they tend to not work as well as the in sump ones.

People have run 150g+ systems on just water changes and carbon utilized in a canister.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: