seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Hope this is the right product.

I want to raise my water volume of 65 gallon reef tank from 400 to 450 calcium. I usually use a reef calculator on the web. However, I can't seem to find a calculator for Kent Kalkwasser mix.

Is this product for raising calcium? If so, how can I calculate the amount I need. Is there a free calculator on the web for this?

Usually, I use kent turbo-calcium and the reef calculator. However, I ran out of this product and a friend gave me Kent Kalkwasser mix. 2 reef calculators I use, don't have this product, so maybe I am thinking this is the wrong product?

I had this reef tank for years.

Thank you,

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
How are you going to be dosing the kalkwasser?
I never heard of a calculator for kalkwasser mix. But here's what I know. As a safety precaution, start off with one teaspoon per gallon of mix. Then if you notice no ill effects and you need higher levels of alk+cal, go with two teaspoons per gallon of mix. Be cautious, kalkwasser will raise your ph extremely fast. So dosing with a slow drip method, top off system, or a reactor is highly recommend. Another tip, some people like to dose kalkwasser when their lights are off to reverse ph drop.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this is the right product.

I want to raise my water volume of 65 gallon reef tank from 400 to 450 calcium. I usually use a reef calculator on the web. However, I can't seem to find a calculator for Kent Kalkwasser mix.

Is this product for raising calcium? If so, how can I calculate the amount I need. Is there a free calculator on the web for this?

Usually, I use kent turbo-calcium and the reef calculator. However, I ran out of this product and a friend gave me Kent Kalkwasser mix. 2 reef calculators I use, don't have this product, so maybe I am thinking this is the wrong product?

I had this reef tank for years.

Thank you,

The label for Kent Kalkwasser Mix says it is calcium hydroxide. For every 74 grams of calcium hydroxide there is 40 grams of calcium. Calcium hydroxide is not very soluble in water. I think a teaspoon of it will dissolve in a gallon of water. This is about four grams of calcium hydroxide or approximately 0.5 grams of calcium in a gallon of water. 0.5 grams in 3.7 L of water or 500 milligrams calcium per 3.7 kilograms of water. Rounding 3.7 to 4 kg gives 125 ppm calcium in 1 gallon of water. When this is diluted in 65 gallons of aquarium water, you should see about a 2 ppm increase in calcium.

These numbers are all approximate because I don't have a calculator handy, but they are close enough to show you that raising calcium levels this way will be slow. As mentioned, addition of kalkwasser will raise the aquarium water pH very quickly if you aren't careful. Besides stressing the animals, high pH will precipitate calcium carbonate, making the water cloudy or coating everything with a precipitate.

More expert reefers will fill you in on two component additives that raise calcium levels more quickly.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan

water. I think a teaspoon of it will dissolve in a gallon of water.

It is more on the order of 2 table spoons / gal. This gives you a pH of about 12.5. And if you add a little vinegar to it you can add more.

Last edited:

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larry

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/

Reef Chemistry Calcularor.
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Example: Calcium @ 400 and raise to 410 in 65 net gals

Drop down Menu: choose "Limewater (Saturated)"

Answer: 0.79 US gallons; 3.02 Liters; 102.25 fl oz

That means ^ you make up 1 gal of limewater. You take 1 gal of RP/DI water and add about 2 tablespoons to it. You are looking for a pH of about 12.5. Or add Kalk until the water is just barely getting or starts to get cloudy. Then you would add 3 liters of that to your 65 gals of water.. NOT THE TANK SIZE ! HOW MUCH WATER YOU HAVE IN YOUR WHOLE SYSTEM ! DO NOT ADD IT ALL AT ONCE. You are better off dripping it in over say at least 1 hr. If you add it to fast a precip will form taking it out of solution, usually as Magnesium hydroxide. This will / may lower the Alk and Magnesium but the Calcium will go up. Now you may be stuck needing to add something else to get the Magnesium and Alk back up.

Warning: NOT a good idea to raise Calcium unless it is only a small increase, as it can raise the pH very high. Saturated Kalk has a pH of ~12.5. You are much better off raising it with Calcium chloride and then seeing Kalk ***IF*** you can maintain Calcium levels with it. If one can use it and many can it is the best thing to use for keeping up pH, Alk and Calcium, as you are not adding something you do not need like the Chloride in Calcium chloride or the Sodium in Baking soda (<---Sodium bicarbonate ) /Baked Baking Soda/Washing Soda/Soda ash (<----Sodium carbonate). What do I mean by " if you can" if you need only small amounts. If you have a SPS tank you would/ may end up needing to add to much and the pH will go through the roof. Kalk is best to maintain Calcium levels, not raise them. (<--WARNING)

Last edited:

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Boomer,

I presently do weekly salt water changes. Can I add lime to my salt water or vice a versa, so I can in reality do a water change using salt water with lime water over 1 hour period?

Thank you,

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larry

You never add water to "something" in this hobby, it is you add "something" to water.

Are we taking the tank water or the WC water ? How much are you planning to add, need numbers, like how high are you trying to raise the Calcium with Kalk ?

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Boomer,

Here is what I am presently doing to maintain 450 calcium in my 55 gallon reef tank with sump.

I do a 5 gallon water change bucket weekly with fresh salt water and I during this time, I add 1 teaspoon of turbo calcium to maintain my calcium level.

All I am trying to do, is to find a cheaper alternative to the 1 teaspoon of turbo calcium that I use.

Preferably, I can add a cheaper product to my salt water change bucket than turbo calcium.

Thank you,

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But how high are you raising that Calcium ? What is your Calcium level of the salt ? Are raising the new salt mix before you add it. There is no reason to keep Calcium at 450. Why are you buying Turbo-Calcium, when you can buy the same stuff from placed like BRS and much cheaper. 1 teaspoon / week of TC is pretty cheap. Corals grow at the same rate from 370 - 450 ppm Calcium. Higher Calcium does not make them grow faster. If you kept your Calcium at 425 it is then 1/2 the cost, as you only need 1/2 teaspoon.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Boomer,

What is the compatible product of Turbo-Calcium that I can buy at BRS?

My calcium level is usually not drained much by SPS. However, my water mix for water change is at 350 so I need to supplement based on water change.

I don't really need a drip for the week, as I prefer just to replenish in my water change bucket.

Thank you,

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Normally, my water mix after I have a 5 gallon bucket with enough salt for 1.025 salt, without any trace elements was around 400 and I never needed to dose. However, my current salt mix, without adding calcium ends up being around 350 and I found by adding 1 teaspoon of turbo calcium and my tank usage, I can maintain my 450 mark.

However, I do

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: