akma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
You could get distilled water. I used to use America's choice distilled water.
Pet shops might sell you ro/di water. There's one in rockland county I used to get from but was a hassle.
How big is your tank?
After awhile I just got a ro/di system and it's so much easier. I used to carry gallons of water from the garage to the 2nd floor of my house.

akma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
For a 58 i'd probably rather get a ro/di system.
I have a 50 gallon and I need about a 1.5-2 gallons every 2 days just for topoff from evaporation. It gets annoying carrying gallon containers and also the waste generated from it.

akma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Dunno about that.
But to start off if you don't plan on getting an ro/di unit i'd get distilled water.
But figure 58 gallon tank is roughly 58 gallons of water. that's about 58$ depending where. It will be less with rock and sand but just an estimate.
let's say 10 gallon sump.
That's 68 gallons, top off about 10.5 gallons a week, water change let's say 7 gallons a week.
So in the next year,

7*1*52=364$ in water changes.
10*1*52=520$ in topoff water
This is all if you purchase distilled water at a dollar a gallon. If you use distilled water there's the hassle of going to the supermarket buying the water bringing it back plus you have the rising cost of gas.
I'm probably exagerating on the price but just trying to give you an idea.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Just a stupid question but what is the problem with using tap water and not RO?

Tonep -the use of Tap water adds large amounts of phosphates to your system (sand & rocks absorb them) ..in turn this causes annoying algae blooms that can overrun your tank causing you to lose corals and to have an ongoing battle in trying to get them out of your tank.
Definitely not worth the headache when you can solve the issue by purchasing a ro/di unit and enjoy the hobby so much more :)

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
some people here will disagree, but the api tap water filter does a decent job, and you can probably find one on here for cheap if you look around. you also don't toss 6 gallons of water for every one gallon you make.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
depends on what kind of filter it is, but odds are you should really invest in an ro or a straight di unit. no sense in losing a few hundred dollars of livestock rather than spending $100 or less on a decent filter system.

ok my fridge has a filter system in it with the water coming out of the door would that be ok?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: