Rowdy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,

I am planning to upgrade from a 29G tank with a 29G sump to a 46G bowfront with a 29G or smaller sump. I anticipate needing more sand for the larger tank. How should I move the sand from the smaller tank to the bigger tank, or should I just buy new live sand altogether?

I am planning to do this as I am moving to a bigger apartment and want to upgrade to the oceanic metals series.

Finally, any thoughts on the odyssea MH/PC lights from www.aquatraders.com?

Thanks!!!!

nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Welcome to MR. I am a newbie here, and based on my limited experience, I would say go with new sand and seed that sand with a cup of old sand. regrading the lights, there are lot of bad reviews on that lights.

Thanks.

rebar

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'll be doing the same thing this weekend. from a 55 non-reef ready to a 72 bow reef reedy. i was planning on keeping my sand and adding some more. Don't you want to keep all the sand since it's already established and has the mirco-organisms needed for the nitrification cycle.

In terms of moving, why not just scoop it out.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Hi there

Most of the time you don't want to keep the sand unless they are very clean. When you move the sand significantly, micro-organism in it will die and cause more problem than good. However, what you can do is to keep some(couple cups) of the top layer(only top layer) to seed the new sand.

A lot of reviews show that the light could be dangerous. Do a search in this forum, you will see.

Last edited:

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How deep are your current sand beds? If it is a deep sand bed I would not move it into the existing tank; unless it has been thoroughly washed.

Steven

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Everytime I've ever kept sand beds I get that one wrong tank inhabitant that likes to stir the sand a little to much:link: and presto phosphate soup. and nitrates everywhere:sick: . But don't have that problem anymore thanks to natureefs denitrifier. 6 months strong..:eat: Sand from an old tank is just that' "old tank sand". Not benificial bacteria loaded sand. Wash it well or dump it.:smash:

Last edited:

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Just live rock on the bottom & glass, bottom that is...:biggrinpa You don't need sand.. it's just 1 more thing to clean:banghead: ..No sand looks better also:smoker: ..Come with me to the end of the rabbit hole Neo:Hydrogen: ...

Last edited:

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Hey welcome to MR! If you go with sand I would get rid of the old stuff. I moved my 180 about 2 years ago and after emptying all the water I was met with the most putrid smell on earth. An established sand bed smells REALLY bad!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: