Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Don't over stock your tank:wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Don't over stock your tank:wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :wink1

Bob, you need to speak with Paul. You guys with generations of experience are not supposed to be giving rebel advice to newbies like us!!! :smile:

Pooshay77

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
research, research, research...i'm only about 2 months into the hobby myself, however am miles away from the knowledge I had when I began...and that's still not saying much...

I'd troll the forums and literally read as much as possible, everyone on MR has been extremely helpful and quick to respond no matter how basic the Q.

Also a good book that was recommended to me on Day one is The Reef Aquarium by Delbeek and Sprung.

Good luck and post some specific Questions.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Welcome to MR, the best advice I can give you is to listen to the advice given to you here and heed it, don't do as so many others have done and ask for help then do the complete opposite of what you were told would work because you were going to do it your way anyway but you were looking for validation from is.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The first thing you need to do is decide on what type of animals you would like to keep and how much you can spend. With that information you can start to research what type of lighting and water flow you should be striving for. There are many choices of lighting and substrates which you will have to pick. You will probably want a protein skimmer, maybe an ozonizer (maybe not) You will need circulation, again depending on what you plan to keep. Do you know anyone with a reef that is thriving? Maybe they can show you some ways to go. You need to do a lot of reading and try to sift through all the conflicting data. It is conflicting because there are many ways to accomplish the same thing.
Try not to listen too much to a guy in a store if he himself does not have a reef. Stores tanks mostly look good because they can change the animals whenever they want. Take advice from someone who has a few years experience and his tank looks healthy.
OK I'm done, thats my advise.
Paul

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: