4Fish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you have wondered the impact a reef tank has on house? From a plumbing perspective, and just having salt spray and creep in the house. I am sure things that I cannot even see are rusting out. Sometimes I wonder if going fresh water is just easier, cheaper and safer!

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
salt doesnt evaporate , only water. salt creep stays close to tank.
with a large tank you need good air circulation in the home, or you might have mold issues. i did with a 300 evporating 3 gal a day.

sunny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
You need to watch humidity if you have a fish room. I use a dehumidifier in my fish room and it removes 5 gallons of water every week.

So I guess if I do not have the dehumidifier then I will have too much dampness in the fish room.

Just to put it into prospective, I have around 225G of saltwater in the basement and that is the only part of my basement that is not finished.

Sunny

tttony

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Reality is if your skimmer / sump overflow more than a few times , salt water does more damage to your house than fresh ,drywall screws , and baseboard radiator,ect!

clasystems

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I disagree with the salt not being in the air comment. I have a heat pump water heater across the room from my tank. It pulls in air from the room to heat the house water. After 2 years coil fins corroded to a point of disintegration. I replaced coil, removed the tank and now 3yrs later nothing wrong with coils. There is without a doubt salt moving around in the air. The coils were built to handle humidity as they sit on top of a drip tray, just not salty humidity.

Trio91

New Jersey Reefers Club
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the event something goes wrong, i think having an angry wife would be the only impact Id be concerned about

which is why i keep mine in the basement next to my sump well

Trio91

New Jersey Reefers Club
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealt with this Saturday and Sunday. A heater malfunction caused a burning smell and I got "that" look

All is good, tragedy aboided

that evil eye? (LOL) yeah i know what that look iz....sends the chillz down your spine and makes you re-evaluate certain situations....i find myself thinking 2x before i make any tank related decisions now

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: