johns120

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be shutting down my 120gallon reef soon-If you can call it a reef-its just in the beginning stages with little coral. Any way I realized I just do not have the time to take care of it. I want to set up a 10 gallon nano with equipment i already have. For lighting I can use the CSL 2x32w PC(one white, one actinic) or build a canopy and use of of two 175 mh and possibly one actinic. The MH setup up would be 100 times more difficult as i would have to build a canopy with holes for the fans, cut, and basically destroy my $500 retro kit. So why do it-I am just crazy about the flickering light effect point source light gives.
I believe the general respoonse is going to be that the mh will give off too much heat and burn the corals but I have read of them being used before.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Julian Sprung's famous 15 gal tank uses 2 MH bulbs...

I think it's fine, just make sure it's not too close to the water level.

jawbox

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 175 pendant over my 7.5g nano, I've had zero problems w/heat.
I have a desk fan next to the tank just in case.

monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in TRA, don't remember which volume. It's packed w/ coral (cant distinguish any sort of rock) with a small mangrove popping out of the middle of it. Although he doesn't say, the lights seem to be hanging quite high off of the tank to accomodate the mangrove. If heat was an issue w/ the 10, just raise the halide up a foot or 2. You could also pop it into a pendant, which aren't very expensive. Maybe even a fan cooled one at that!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re Sprung's tank- It's also one of the featured aquarist's tanks in Fossa & Nilsen Vol 3.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: