andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I have never run Phosban before, but I've developed some hair algae, so I added a phosban reactor. This draws from and returns into the same sump chamber as where my protein skimmer is. Since starting this, I have no (0.0) skimmate. The skimmer is foaming, but nothing accumulates. Could it be the phosban, or did I somehow mess something else up?

jcohen9999

Overkill Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I had the same issue. Cleaned the skimmer and all went back to normal. I think some of the minute Gfo particles coat the inner surfaces of the skimmer and prevent that build up of foam from happening.

Just a guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Definitely try cleaning the skimmer out probably no effect from the gfo but it's always good to clean it out fully every now and then anyway. It could also be the way you have it set. What type of skimmer is it? Is it at the correct water level? Every in sump skimmer pretty much needs to be within a certain water level to operate properly. Some people have skimmers that need to be at less water level than they have so they put them on stands. Also if your water level fluctuates in the sump it can cause the skimmer to stop skimming even though it's bubbling. These are common issues, providing us with more info about your equipment would make it much easier to figure out a solution.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: