MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
I will eventually do that when I am ready to start a SPS tank or when Ben switch completely over to LEDs and kick his Mh away. LOL. As you know, he already kicked the T5 and T12 and repalced them with LEDs. Do you not agreed his tank is amazing? Of course, there are many other factors involved too.

One problem to test that, is to have a good reefer who can keep SPS in the first place, who can control water parameters properly and DON'T move all the time like me. I will be staying in Kansas for a while-may be I can research on aquaculture with all that sun! Hmm, but there's no natural sea water though.

Ben's tank r indeed awesome but NOT due to the LED tho! but i admit no other actinic can pop corals like LEDs!!!

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
i admit no other actinic can pop corals like LEDs!!!

This is the part he has done
and
I heard he has plan to switch completely over to LED including the main light for growth to test it.

He seems to be the best choice to test the LED as he has already been able to keep water at its optimal and proven a good SPS keeper.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
200   0   0
LED is old technology and used more than multiples of 5 years for many applications and proven to last longer than rated life span. Do you remember your the LEDs on your Hi-Fi/VCR are still liting before you dump it? Like building a house, we don't actually waited 150 years to state it should last 150 years but due to engineering estimates, we expect it to last that long. Most materials used in the LED are materials proven to last as stated unless they are manufactured by inferior factories(that bring to the point that not even same color LEDs are not created equal, so a 460nm LED is not necessarily same as another 460nm LED.)

so you agree that as respect to lighting, the LEDs are the same rather I spent $20 on eBay for a 5 year time or $200 for a 10 year time. I'm still going with 5 years because in 5 years is still a long time to me and anything can change during that time

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Most of the points you guy mentioned are actually proven or estimated to be true except the long term growth and color of corals.

LED is old technology and used more than multiples of 5 years for many applications and proven to last longer than rated life span. Do you remember your the LEDs on your Hi-Fi/VCR are still liting before you dump it? Like building a house, we don't actually waited 150 years to state it should last 150 years but due to engineering estimates, we expect it to last that long. Most materials used in the LED are materials proven to last as stated unless they are manufactured by inferior factories(that bring to the point that not even same color LEDs are not created equal, so a 460nm LED is not necessarily same as another 460nm LED.)

Application in aquarium is not proven because we just need time to really tell if it works or not.

Wingo I am only talking about aquarium applications of these lights.
We have been using LED's in the public service sector for quite some time. Warning lights and flashlights are different than lights for growing corals. Due to the high cost and the fact that we don't know how long the bulbs will last before they need replacement (at that cost no less) makes LED lighting a waste of money in my opinion.

On the flip side people over at nano reefs have threads where they are making their own led fixtures and they cost only a fraction of the costs these companies are charging for there fixtures. The threads are detailing the process step by step and it is interesting to actually see these fixtures. One guy is even working on an open source controller program for the fixtures. My question if you can make something yourself for a fraction of the cost that these companies are charging you then try that before you actually take the leap and spend $ 1400 on a 24" light fixture.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
so you agree that as respect to lighting, the LEDs are the same rather I spent $20 on eBay for a 5 year time or $200 for a 10 year time. I'm still going with 5 years because in 5 years is still a long time to me and anything can change during that time

LEDs are NOT same from manufacturer to manufacturer-there were just too many things involved which exhaust my energy to list them all. The way they are made, the material used, the skill in tuning the machine, the skill in frabrication of the cake, the skill in controling the environment, consistency...........

Choice of going lower price or higher price from company A or B is a personal choice and best fit only to yourself but they are simply NOT the same. Actually, there is a shop which couple members have referred others to shop acrylics in Alan street, which supplies Asian sign stores, refused to carry my modules over his cheaper versions, citing his clients are not up for it while another stage lighting store, which supply mostly to broadway shows and clubs, in Mid Town is more than happy to use my light over his old line. Only you can tell what's best for you.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
response in RED
Wingo I am only talking about aquarium applications of these lights. (NOTED)

On the flip side people over at nano reefs have threads where they are making their own led fixtures and they cost only a fraction of the costs these companies are charging for there fixtures. The threads are detailing the process step by step and it is interesting to actually see these fixtures. One guy is even working on an open source controller program for the fixtures (I did that open source thing too if you remember from my older threads about DMX 512-but most member here seems wanted just to get a finished fixture merchandise as I have not been asked, in this forum, about putting my MAIN light in the canopy even once). My question if you can make something yourself for a fraction of the cost that these companies are charging you then try that before you actually take the leap and spend $ 1400 on a 24" light fixture (Agreed to some degree but I wonder how close the DIY could get. I am interested to know too, please send me the link. Anyway, nanoreef members are a lot more handy or adventurous than this forum I feel. A lot of fun ideas there. People spending $1400 on THE 24" fixtures are mostly not into retrofit not to mention DIY. I think they are more into the look n feel, smoothless, completeness, easy of mind and such-its fashion-hard to grip) .

BTW, I encourage people to DIY too. I even have written couple articles on making your own LEDs light such as "Spy Light Made Easy" and how to avoid burining your DIY LEDs due to wrong power supply(Oops, I err myself recently when I started to include free PS lately)in various forums.

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Wingo let me make this perfectly clear I am not pointing any fingers at you, I am mostly talking about the LARGE companies when it comes to expense. I know how you have worked and produced things and I am very impressed with your progress. Being a skeptic I guess I need to have it proved to me that LED is the way to go right now or wait to switch.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Wingo let me make this perfectly clear I am not pointing any fingers at you

Don't worry, I never think you were pointing the finger at me for a split second. :inlove: I noticed you are talking about the topic at large and I am trying very hard(I wonder where are all the other engineers or scientists in the forum-I need Pedro nuno ferreira's help, LOL!) to dispell the misunderstandings surrounding this LED topic. I like objectively look into a topic and comparing oranges with oranges and apples with apples but I always see people compare the wrong items when it comes to LED. I think too many of us are not familiar with this technnology. That's why I wished the club should start to invite speakers on this topic.

NOTE: I did not claim LED is the only choice nor the best choice, I only claim it is good choice to start with and further study is needed and it deserve more effort to understand it than just bashing it for our hobby.

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
There was a lenghty speech given and the Brooklyn Aquarium Society in recent months. LEDs are ready for prime time, their cost is not. At this point it's a MB of aquarium lighting, most need it to be at Toyota Corolla level to buy without having to rob a bank. As far as all specs, they exceed any other already proven technology currently on the market. Wingo is right in 99% of what he has stated, read and learn.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: